Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Replacement Gauges Mechanical vs Electric

The original helm gauges need replacement. A while back I installed mechanical oil and water gauges in the saloon as a check for the questionable helm gauges. The mechanical gauges strike me as more reliable. The existing instrument panel is difficult to access from below and I am considering mounting mechanical oil and water gauges in a separate panel. Any cautions or recommendations?
    The engines are 671's.
    Thanks
    Vincent
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

2. Re: Replacement Gauges Mechanical vs Electric

If you are going to redo senders and everything, I would consider switching over to NEMA 2000 based electrical instrumentation with mechanical gauges in the engine room as a backup. Once you get it on the NEMA 2k network you can view it anywhere in the boat with basically one 5 wire bus cable and virtually any Nema 2000 instrument that can read engine parameters which includes, garmin, maretron, etc. It's more involved and costly up front, but if you want guages in more than one station it starts to make more sense. You can also hook up your tank senders as well.