Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel filler and vent relocation

I ve never liked the filler and vent location which made it very difficult to catch any spitting out. Nowadays spilling even half a teaspoon of diesel has become a serious crime against the environment...

Since we replaced the 49 year old hoses i decided to move them above deck recessed in the house side, just behind the port PH door. I built a box which i epoxied inside the wall to contain both fillers. The bottom half of the box will be sealed with a drain hole so any spill can be drained into a container. Top half will closed with an access door.
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Fuel filler and vent relocation

Pascal-
    That's a great idea. Other benefits are that you may be able to fill your tanks even if it is raining since you'll be protected by the overhang. Also, the fill caps will be out of the rain so any failure in the orings on the filler caps won't allow water to find its way into your tanks. Does the recessed box fit into the wall space or does it protrude into the salon?
    1987 63' CPMY - Jubilee
    Tampa, FL

All who wander are not lost.

It fits in the wall and doesn’t protrude
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hi Pascal,
    Sent you a PM comment about this modification.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Great idea, have scene a few custom sportfish boats with the fills in the cockpit step or locker, can't remember what they did with the vents.
    One of the modifications I've always wanted to do is to have fuel fills on both sides of the boat so the hose never has to cross over the boat.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I dont think abyc would approve.

Then again what do they know.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

7. Re: Fuel filler and vent relocation

I have seen them recessed into the house sides but not enclosed. Also, the fillers are angled to allow long nozzles to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I dont think abyc would approve.

Then again what do they know.
    Care to explain why?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hi Pascal,
    I sent you a PM to start with why ABYC would not approve too much of the relocation of the fill and vent like you propose. Just didn't want to air it out in this forum.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

The box is going to be glassed and sealed so that fuel cannot spil inside the boat. Obviously the cover isn’t a must have if that’s an issue

As to overflowing from th fillers onto the side decks that s the way it is on many boats, Fuel will flow aft on deck and wither overboard thru a deck drain or all the way to transom steps. This is no different

I didn’t know about the vent but since it is not gas and fumes aren’t a worry, I don’t see what the concern is. I think it is better to contain any fuel instead of it going overboard. I will be finishing the survey next month. We ll see what the surveyor say.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat