Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New lower and upper helm design

I ended up redoing both helm stations as the Cummins instrument pods didnt fit well. I never liked the .ower helm which was too flat anyway. Also it weighted probably close to 250lbs and took another foot of space which makes a difference as i now have the galley up.

There is very little knuckle room around the wheel but so fsr it s not an issue. I steer at the top or for fast turns i put a finger in the spoke. I may switch to a smaller wheel if necessary. No electronics yet but i have room for a couple of medium MFDs and upstairs i ll build pods on the side.

Still have to finish the frame for the biilge pump panel and trim tabs as well as a black padded top

Botton panel is angled because i have a wire chase down there. Reason for the steps on each side of the wheel is that there is an air con duct on the ledt side going into what will be the 3rd stateroom
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Pascal; 07-19-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: New lower and upper helm design

What a great way to tuck lower helm wheel out of the way. Both stations look fantastic. Congratulations
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Looks amazing. Love the design of the lower helm.

Looks great Pascal. You are very creative.

Walt

Very nice!

Thanks for sharing your concepts.

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    Very nice!

Thanks for sharing your concepts.

DAN
    Dan, I befriended you.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Looks great. Nice joinery
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Pascal, is that cherry you are using? Particularly by the cutaway you made to the galley stairs? I am in process of doing the same thing and really like the look of the color you have going there. Thanks and keep the pix flowing. You are definitely a blueprint for me, and probably quite a few others here. The improvements you are making really make the livability of these boats more modern and enjoyable!

It s all Hondurian Mahogany, veneer, polywood or solid, except for a couple of the darker pieces. The darker lower shelf is a piece of Jatoba that i had. I dont use Jatoba much because it is way too hard and too heavy. I think The pads under the engine controls are Sapele. I also use Utile, a hard wood from africa for counter tops as th local lumber yard has it in wider boards than Mahogany. I m very lucky to have a great lumber uard which carries all sort of hardwood, veneer sheets and veneered plywood just up the street.

It looks good in the pictures but if you look up close, well... i m not a pro. I learn as i go along... cor instance the large lower angled piece i made of plywood which i veneered so i could have rounded edge instead of hiding the joint with trim like hatteras did back then. When applying the veneer, i didnt realize the reason it was folding around the edge is because i had it in the wrong orientation, horizontal instead of vertical. Duh... so i tried wetting a piece of scrap and realized it allowed fhe veneer to follow a tight radius. But it woudl have been easier, and looked better, if i had put the veneer vertical... live and learn

Today's peoject is replacing the port side weather boards and railing destroyed during Irma... stay tuned... i m using a very different approach!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Ha! Well I think it looks outstanding, as I’m sure anyone you ever have on the boat will. I will watch for your weatherboard project, as I need to do the same as I had to take out the aft weather boards to allow the new engine to be installed. I was thinking of the pvc boards doubled and then painted, but will watch for your post!Thanks again.