Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

Just curious.

Anyone using AGM batteries in their 32 volt system? At the start of this season we wound up with three bad 8 volt batteries (Deka 819), mostly due to the LaMarche "battery cooker" and decided to replace both the charger which was original to the boat and and all the batteries since they were at least three years old.

Couldn't get Deka 8 volt batteries of any kind as three different sources told me that the manufacturer was out of stock and not likely to have any available until later this year and Rolls was telling me at least a couple of weeks for delivery. Wound up going with Full River 8 volt AGM batteries marginally greater than the 819's in AH & CCA.

So far the combination of a new Analytic Systems charger and the AGM batteries seems to be working very well. Replaced the old, rotted fiberglass battery boxes with new NOCO units and the generator room cleaned up beautifully.

Now I'm wondering what I can anticipate for life expectancy for these AGM batteries in this application.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

2. Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

Yep. I am running several banks of Full River DC200-8. You can get them for around 300$ a piece.

http://www.dcbattery.com/fullriver_dc200-8.html

On the charging front we use two ~3.5KW Outback inverters and a large capacity alternator on one of the engines. We dumped the OE charger a long time ago in favor of the temp monitored three stage chargers in the invertors.
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 07-19-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

Thanks for the response and great info!

Next thing on my list is to install the battery temp sensors. Planning on doing that and some kind of remote battery monitoring system in the next month or two.

How long have you had your AGM's? I'm hoping t get at least the same life out of them that I would with the Deka lead acid batteries if the charging system is working properly.

My charger float and bulk charging rates are set exactly to Full River specs, so everything is as it should be for this type of battery. Hoping for the best!
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

4. Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Thanks for the response and great info!

Next thing on my list is to install the battery temp sensors. Planning on doing that and some kind of remote battery monitoring system in the next month or two.

How long have you had your AGM's? I'm hoping t get at least the same life out of them that I would with the Deka lead acid batteries if the charging system is working properly.

My charger float and bulk charging rates are set exactly to Full River specs, so everything is as it should be for this type of battery. Hoping for the best!
    Our house bank has been in since 6/2011 or so and they still have at least 80% of original capacity. Keep in mind though that the boat is only every really cyling batteries for a couple months a year as our season is fairly short.

Our engine starting batteries are a bit older and they are still holding up well.

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Just curious.

Anyone using AGM batteries in their 32 volt system? At the start of this season we wound up with three bad 8 volt batteries (Deka 819), mostly due to the LaMarche "battery cooker" and decided to replace both the charger which was original to the boat and and all the batteries since they were at least three years old.

Couldn't get Deka 8 volt batteries of any kind as three different sources told me that the manufacturer was out of stock and not likely to have any available until later this year and Rolls was telling me at least a couple of weeks for delivery. Wound up going with Full River 8 volt AGM batteries marginally greater than the 819's in AH & CCA.

So far the combination of a new Analytic Systems charger and the AGM batteries seems to be working very well. Replaced the old, rotted fiberglass battery boxes with new NOCO units and the generator room cleaned up beautifully.

Now I'm wondering what I can anticipate for life expectancy for these AGM batteries in this application.
    We also opted for the Full River AGMs to replace both 32V banks. Knock wood, a little over 2 years and they are performing perfectly. We went with the 3 stage Newmar and traded our Charles cooker to Scott for a nice lunch. Also new battery boxes (after replacing 2sections of acid-rotted deck below the boxes) and have to say even the surveyor commented on how nice the job looked.

Oh - and I don’t miss the monthly battery refill ritual one bit!
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

6. Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    Oh - and I don’t miss the monthly battery refill ritual one bit!
    This!!! I don't miss the faint battery acid (sulfur) smell either.

Wait till one battery fail and you wake up in the morning to the smell of rotten eggs happened to me a few times over the year with less than 4 to 5 year old AGMs and modern multistage chargers properly set up for AGMs

Happened with generator, house and mains batteries. The most memorable one was a generator battery stinking out the whole boat on the morning we were starting a 7 day charter for the NYYC race commuter in Newport. Big scramble to find a 4D AGM in Newport and install it before noon boarding time. And anyone who s been to Newport RI beforenthe daya of Uber and Lyft knows how tough it was to find a taxi

I m using lead acid on my 53, not worth the extra $ for AGMs
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

8. Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Wait till one battery fail and you wake up in the morning to the smell of rotten eggs happened to me a few times over the year with less than 4 to 5 year old AGMs and modern multistage chargers properly set up for AGMsHappened with generator, house and mains batteries. The most memorable one was a generator battery stinking out the whole boat on the morning we were starting a 7 day charter for the NYYC race commuter in Newport. Big scramble to find a 4D AGM in Newport and install it before noon boarding time. And anyone who s been to Newport RI beforenthe daya of Uber and Lyft knows how tough it was to find a taxi I m using lead acid on my 53, not worth the extra $ for AGMs
    I haven’t had this happen with lifeline batteries or the full river, but agree when they go they go! I avoid optima battery’s now. Just out of curiousity what brand batteries were they?

Various brands ... I forgot which.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Which box’s did you get from NOCO ? I have several 8 volt battery box’s in less than great shape!Thanks!