Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Overpropped

Re: Overpropped

And if one engine has an issue, the other one won’t be able to turn much higher RPM anyway.

Have the prop shop check the size and pitch just to make sure someone didn’t put wrong props on but if they re right I would make sure everything else has been checked before taking pitch out. We re not talking about being short a couple of hundred rpms here but not being able to get on plane.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I’m not sure what you have going on. As a boat ages it’s not unusual to take an inch of pitch out to make up the difference for weight gain but you’re way off if it will only turn 3000 rpm. If the boat can’t plane I’m sure you are pushing a wall of water. You either have to be down on power or the boat is excessively heavy. It should run at 4200 rpm with the wheels that you have on them. Does it run any different when you’re light on fuel?
    Last edited by dsharp; 07-19-2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Typo

Many travel lifts have a scale on them. To cover some of the issues mentioned above you could do a haul/splash..... pressure wash it, scrub the running gear, verify the weight. You could even time it so the prop guy is there to look at them, or at least take very good pictures with a ruler in the picture to verify dimensions.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Let me correct myself, they are not cuttingDown the props, they are adjusting DownThe pitch 2 inches.

That’s probably not a bad place to start. Once the boat breaks over on top and planes it should take a lot of the load off of the engines. Is it a Series 2 36’ Sedan?

Correction not going to cut down props,But going to reduce pitch 2 inches.

Again, and as others have stated, if you were a couple of hundred off the top adjusting the props would be one thing. I don't think not planning is not going to be fixed by a small change in the props. This could be something as simple as gacked up anti-siphon valves. If SAM's says you have the right props they would be way low on my list of things to mess with.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I got boat back today , ran 3400 rpms at17.4 knots, a little better, still no plane.

9. Re: Overpropped

Something is way out of whack! You are still 1000 RPM short of where you need to be.

Do the carb throttle plates open all the way when the throttles are full forward? What carbs are you running? I would think quadrajets.

Quote Originally Posted by Robs View Post
    I got boat back today , ran 3400 rpms at17.4 knots, a little better, still no plane.
    Thanks for the update. Any plans on following up with the suggestions you've already received?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375