Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Galley maid head plumbing

My heads have started losing prime frequently, typically after backing down, but also recently after some gentlemen put them to the test on an offshore trip. I noticed while plunging that depressing the plunger expels air from the rinse holes under the lip of the bowl. Also drawing up in the plunger sucks air from the rinse holes, rendering the plunger useless. Upon further examination I noticed a small hose connecting the large evacuation hose to the water fill hose behind the head. What is the purpose of this hose? I can’t figure it out. Thanks.

Re: Galley maid head plumbing

It a primer. I just changed mine out and it helped, your most likely in need of new stators. Call RAZ marine for parts and watch their YouTube video on how to rebuild. Very easy.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks. I ordered three new stators direct from GM. That will be a project for the next non-fishing weekend. It just seemed odd to me having that hose there. How can it develop suction if it can just suck air from the rim instead?

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    Thanks. I ordered three new stators direct from GM. That will be a project for the next non-fishing weekend. It just seemed odd to me having that hose there. How can it develop suction if it can just suck air from the rim instead?
    Don't forget the seals. BTW, there's a new style and old style motor to pump connection if they didn't mention it. Important stuff to know for seal installation.

Hope your's are easier to get to than mine!

IMG_6231.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Lol that’s a nice contortion job! My pumps are easy access in the engine room. No problem there. I did not order seals nor did they recommend this. What do they seal? If only servicing the suction side of the pump doesn’t the stator create its own seal?

Lol that’s a nice contortion job! My pumps are easy access in the engine room. No problem there. I did not order seals nor did they recommend this. What do they seal? If only servicing the suction side of the pump doesn’t the stator create its own seal?
    You need seals; they wear out. They keep the liquids from leaking out the motor end of the pump if you have a new style mount--just messy in boat. In the case of the old style mount, they prevent this (pic)--messy in motor and boat and more expensive.

IMG_8090.jpg
    If you had ordered from Raz they'd have told you. The seal kit is the same for either new or old style pump mount. In the case of the new style, you just expand the spring some to ensure good seal contact with pump housing.

Here you go:

http://www.razmarinepumps.com/raz-ma....shtml#sealkit
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

7. Re: Galley maid head plumbing

+1 on the stators. The stators are just rubber and are a wear part.

The Galley Maid folks are very good. The Raz people are great. I have rebuilt all 3 of mine: first by Raz when John was thre, the second and third on my own. For the cost of the seals, it was a no brainer to do them when I pull the pumps. I'm more accesible than many but it is still a PITA to do it and I looking for 8-10 yers troube free operation.

BTW, I changed out all of my discharge hoses plus the priming hose and nipples while doing the rebuilds. They all run slick as baby sh-t now...

Those seals are standard seals that can be purchased at grainger locally if I had the existing one out. I was not aware that they even existed in these pumps. Since I have the stators and I have no water leaks I may forego the seals at this time but I guess that will depend on if I see any issue when I have things apart. It does seem like a good time to replace discharge hoses. I will likely do that.

Not sure what RAZ charges for those seals, but I replaced similar seals on my previous centrifugal AC pump and they are about $6 at grainger and are always on hand.

Those seals are standard seals that can be purchased at grainger locally if I had the existing one out. I was not aware that they even existed in these pumps. Since I have the stators and I have no water leaks I may forego the seals at this time but I guess that will depend on if I see any issue when I have things apart. It does seem like a good time to replace discharge hoses. I will likely do that. Not sure what RAZ charges for those seals, but I replaced similar seals on my previous centrifugal AC pump and they are about $6 at grainger and are always on hand.
    Well I don’t think the cost is the issue. And I don’t think the fact they aren’t currently leaking has any bearing. You’re changing the oil, so to speak, and keeping the old filter. You might get away with it if you have the new style pump. If you have the old style pump you will discover your leak when the motors bearings are shot. Refer back to my pic. That’s a leaking seal.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC