Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

8v92 Antifreeze Flush

Looked at past threads and didn't find what I need to start this project. Had a local mechanic hired, but he crapped out, so I thought I would take a run at it. It would be better for me to learn how anyway.

I need to flush the antifreeze out of the 8v92ti's. Got brown rust crust at the coolant caps.
    How many petcocks and where are they located?
    What to do if it won't open? Can I heat or use a penetrating oil

I remember reading somewhere, that someone pulled the bottom rubber coolant hose to empty the whole thing into the engine bilge. Not really wild about this idea as I am a big fat guy and can't wiggle into the spaces like smaller spry guys. Also have health issues that don't allow me to apply a lot of stress on my joints and muscles. Well I can, but then end up laid up for weeks.

Should I run water through it after draining?

I have read the recommendations for replacement antifreeze and the crapped out mechanic recommended using Fleet Guard rust inhibitor.

As always, you guys are lifesavers (the bird excluded )
    mark

Re: 8v92 Antifreeze Flush

If you'll search "petcocks" on the site you'll find a detailed thread on 71's. I think you'll find it's what you need to know to get it done.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC