Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Couple Pics of the 'ol gal

How did you pick the name rustybucket ?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    How did you pick the name rustybucket ?
    My name is Rusty! Don't really remember where the bucket came from, been using it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    My name is Rusty! Don't really remember where the bucket came from, been using it for years.
    Speaking of rust... That's a Nexgrill, or equivalent (yours), available from Home Depot for $99. They'll rust up in a heartbeat and look like hell. The marina tossed mine in the dumpster last year, only three months old. I got it back and painted it. Case and valves were OK, but the guts finally burned up. Good reef starter material though.

IMG_7984.jpg

I just bought a new one and will place it in commission this weekend.

IMG_9406.jpg
    Just can't bring myself to shell out what they want for a marine grade.

Really nice pictures, BTW. That's the second nicest 55C out there.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Speaking of rust... That's a Nexgrill, or equivalent (yours), available from Home Depot for $99. They'll rust up in a heartbeat and look like hell. The marina tossed mine in the dumpster last year, only three months old. I got it back and painted it. Case and valves were OK, but the guts finally burned up. Good reef starter material though.

Attachment 26668

I just bought a new one and will place it in commission this weekend.

Attachment 26669
    Just can't bring myself to shell out what they want for a marine grade.

Really nice pictures, BTW. That's the second nicest 55C out there.
    I feel ya on the grill. My stupid brother rinsed it off with saltwater washdown on one of our trips. So this one will probably be lucky to make it through one season. What did you prime/paint it with? Was considering spraying some ospho on it. Maybe some high-temp paint would stay put? Ordered mine online for $75 shipped. I figure at that price I can replace every single year and still be way ahead of the game. The marine grills just aren't big enough for us. We like to EAT GOOD out there and often have 8-10 guys. So we need to be able to burn through 10 steaks fairly quickly. I also like the two burners on it, so I can have one side hot and the other side off to slow-cook big pieces of meat.

And the boat is a 52c. Hopefully on it's way to being one of the nicest 52's out there!

I feel ya on the grill. My stupid brother rinsed it off with saltwater washdown on one of our trips. So this one will probably be lucky to make it through one season. What did you prime/paint it with? Was considering spraying some ospho on it. Maybe some high-temp paint would stay put? Ordered mine online for $75 shipped. I figure at that price I can replace every single year and still be way ahead of the game. The marine grills just aren't big enough for us. We like to EAT GOOD out there and often have 8-10 guys. So we need to be able to burn through 10 steaks fairly quickly. I also like the two burners on it, so I can have one side hot and the other side off to slow-cook big pieces of meat.

And the boat is a 52c. Hopefully on it's way to being one of the nicest 52's out there!
    It was a compliment, but I stand corrected. Phosphoric to remove the rust. On this new one, I painted on ferric chloride to etch the steel; primed with hi-temp Krylon and done. Just needs one good bake. Primer is the official color of rednecks and the Bolivian Navy.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

It was a compliment, but I stand corrected. Phosphoric to remove the rust. On this new one, I painted on ferric chloride to etch the steel; primed with hi-temp Krylon and done. Just needs one good bake. Primer is the official color of rednecks and the Bolivian Navy.
    Thanks for the compliment! And also thanks for the paint info, will be doing that!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Looks great!

Good work—have fun—and thanks for bringing that one back to life!

DAN

My name is Rusty as well. It’s my real name, not a nick name. There’s are story behind it but I don’t want to bore the rest of the Hatteras group.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    My name is Rusty as well. It’s my real name, not a nick name. There’s are story behind it but I don’t want to bore the rest of the Hatteras group.
    Go ahead. It’s raining here.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Go ahead. It’s raining here.
    I mean, now you pretty much gotta tell us!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL