Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Secretary of Education Yacht Sabotaged!

Many of you may have seen that the Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos's, Yacht "Seamaster" was sabotaged recently; July, 2018. Ok, vandalized, as all its lines were cast off and it drifted and became damaged, when it finally hit a dock- this is least politically tinged story link I could find:

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/201...-dock-npr.html

This is not-so-much fake news, as the incompetent ABC News report: Vandalized on Lake Huron- only off by a couple hundred miles: Occurred on Lake Erie, at the City of Huron, OH, Huron Marina. At least they got it right that the yacht was floating in water (sorry...):

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/secr...ry?id=56840039

This is a $40M, 163', captain maintained yacht. You would think they could afford to stand a 24hrs/day watch! What's up with that? I sailed on a 118' yacht, a hundred years ago when I was young, but we did not stand a watch, so much as someone was always aboard; but not watching.

There are many images of the Seamaster out on Google, etc.

P.s., there is a beautiful 54' Hatteras former DeVos yacht in a slip on the north side of Muskegon Lake. Named Victory?- I have forgotten, but I got a tour and she is in very nice shape. The DeVos's are not deprived though- they own 10 yachts in total, according to reports, but I do not exaggerate that the press is probably including dinghies and launches in that total!

I heard a recent story to the effect that the DeVos/VanAndel's have property on Lake Charlevoix and somehow had the clout to dredge out a canal from the Lake, where they will moor one of their yachts. Surprised the Mich DNR was not all over that!

P.s., I live in Grand Rapids, MI, so the DeVos/VanAndel helicopter does flyovers by my home to the airport, from their compound from time to time. While all the Left is rejoicing, locals would probably say, Oh, that's too bad- nice boat.

P.s., the USA Today got the story right. However, again what is their logic- they report Betsy was in OH visiting different types of facilities- Ok- got that. Next line- why the yacht was there is unknown (?); maybe a very nice live aboard? Yeesh...
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 07-28-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: Secretary of Education Yacht Sabotaged!

Dick DeVos was one of the maxi sailboat racers, racing all over the world with a big paid crew payroll. To much money to count.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Dick DeVos was one of the maxi sailboat racers, racing all over the world with a big paid crew payroll. To much money to count.
    Was that the DeVos Maxi-Boat that Ted Turner sailed to a record time in the Chicago to Mackinaw Island Race years ago; probably a different sailboat then, but a DeVos boat I think. Ted caught a full Gale running up the lake and reports were that at times they were surfing at 30+ knots. Ted was reported to have gotten off the boat at Mackinaw Island and said, "Well now I have sailed on Lake Michigan...but I will never do it again". He had earlier said that the Great Lakes were too tame vs. the Ocean, where Ted was an accomplished racer, Fastnet, et al. Now, Great Lakes softer than the Ocean- maybe not so much.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 07-28-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Answer is yes, in 1971 I had the great fortune to race against and meet the mouth of the south as Ted Turner was called. When he had a little to drink he was a riot. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.