Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

We have a bad transformer - recommendations?

What recommendations are out there to replace the transformer/booster? 53' ED 50 amp - TIA!!
    "Mad Hatteras"
    1984 53ED

Re: We have a bad transformer - recommendations?

Call Sam's. They have carried them in the past. How do you know yours is bad? It's hardly a complex piece of equipment.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Call Sam's. They have carried them in the past. How do you know yours is bad? It's hardly a complex piece of equipment.
    electrician tested - The wire is melted off it it - prefer to replace with a booster combo
    "Mad Hatteras"
    1984 53ED

It doesn't appear Charles makes the IsoBoost transformers anymore, a real shame because they were wonderful.
    Try calling Ward's Marine Electric in Ft. Lauderdale, they have a variety of solutions.
    George
    2007-2014

Hubbell filled the market Charles Marine Vacated.

https://www.powerboat-world.com/news...ith-auto-boost
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    It doesn't appear Charles makes the IsoBoost transformers anymore, a real shame because they were wonderful.
    Try calling Ward's Marine Electric in Ft. Lauderdale, they have a variety of solutions.
    I saw they were discontinued, but did manage to find a company that has some - thanks for your feedback
    "Mad Hatteras"
    1984 53ED

I have the same boat. 53 Ft ED MY. Pretty sure the transformers were made by Jefferson Electric. They don't carry the part number for that transformer in their catalog because it was unique to Hatteras.

If you want a direct replacement, I'd suggest calling Jefferson Electric at 800-892-3755 give them the part number and they can advise on price and availability. Then I'd order it from an electrical supply house local to your area instead of a marine outlet. Likely to be cheaper that way.

Long story but we thought we needed to replace both of ours last year. Turns out they're OK. I use Jefferson transformers for my work and they're near bulletproof!

I have a photo of the tag off my Jefferson transformer. I thought I’d upload it for your reference
    Attached Images
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

!Re: We have a bad transformer - recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    I have the same boat. 53 Ft ED MY. Pretty sure the transformers were made by Jefferson Electric. They don't carry the part number for that transformer in their catalog because it was unique to Hatteras.

If you want a direct replacement, I'd suggest calling Jefferson Electric at 800-892-3755 give them the part number and they can advise on price and availability. Then I'd order it from an electrical supply house local to your area instead of a marine outlet. Likely to be cheaper that way.

Long story but we thought we needed to replace both of ours last year. Turns out they're OK. I use Jefferson transformers for my work and they're near bulletproof!
    Thanks!!
    "Mad Hatteras"
    1984 53ED

Quote Originally Posted by madhat53 View Post
    I saw they were discontinued, but did manage to find a company that has some - thanks for your feedback
    We had a set courtesy of the PO, who frequented a 208v marina. God bless him, they came in handy many times, often at places that ostensibly were 240, but as transient we were stuck out on an end tie a lot and in hot weather the voltage could pretty skimpy.
    George
    2007-2014