Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

AC Raw Water Strainer Completely Fouled with Pea Sized Oysterss

Yesterday, when I noticed my AC discharge water flow suddenly went to a trickle and ambient temp to air discharge dropped to 8 degrees F, I proceeded to pull the strainer for a periodic clean out.

What I found was shocking. Usually when I check strainers, I find a few shells, bits of seaweed, but nothing too bad. This time the stainer was packed to the brim with tiny little clams or oysters no bigger than a pea. It was packed so tight, I had a chore removing the basket from the housing. Much to my distress, it was apparent many of the little buggers made it through the basket to the clean water side.

What a fun project, sweating near the bilge cleaning as much of the strainer as I could reach.

Opened the seacock with lid off strainer and observed good flow. Put it all back together and turned on AC. Flow was a bit improved but not where it should be. Temperature differential was 12F, better but not the 13-15F I am used to seeing. Conclusion - I have scale or oysters growing in my system.

So, what to do? I think what we may have here is beyond the capabilities of vinegar, CLR or Barnacle Buster. I'm thinking of bringing out the big guns like muriatic acid.

Suggestions are welcome. If muriatic is the way to go, I'd appreciate input on dilution and contact time.

btw, I'm in South Florida so just opening a window and turning on a fan is NOT an option.
    Last edited by Passages; 07-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.