Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Portrait Shape TV Replacement

I need to replace a tv that is shaped 20" x 20". Needless to say it is a built in CRT. Are there any new tv's that have this portrait type shape rather than the landscape shape I see all over. I would rather not get into carpentry issues and I think it silly to invest in a repair for a tv that is likely 17 years old.

Re: Portrait Shape TV Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    I need to replace a tv that is shaped 20" x 20". Needless to say it is a built in CRT. Are there any new tv's that have this portrait type shape rather than the landscape shape I see all over. I would rather not get into carpentry issues and I think it silly to invest in a repair for a tv that is likely 17 years old.
    There may be one, I don't know. Had the same issue, and here is what I did. Pretty simple.

IMG_9421.JPGIMG_9422.JPG
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

if you are not using the tv to change channels (ie: cable tv box), then you can check out
    computer monitors.
    many of them do tv display also.

All new televisions are the 16:9 aspect ratio. There are no new signals in the old 4:3 either. Dont waste time or money trying to get a square peg for a rectangular hole or visa versa.

Get a TV that covers as much as you can and add a drawer or something else below to fill the space.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Had the repair guy at the boat today. The tv is shot. So, I am going to replace that tv with a suitably sized flat screen and also, do the same in the salon. Getting rid of these two CRT tv's should rejuvenate the look and provide a better picture than I already have. A man's got to know his limitations, as Clint once said, and mine is carpentry. Let the pros make it look perfect.

I've seen cabinets made to mount the the on the door so it can swing out to access storage. I believe cruisers yachts does this with their refrigerators too. The tv is on the refrigerator door.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I ve seen many boats where squarish TVs were replaced with modern flat screens and it often looks bad even thought it takes very little effort to make it look nice. Not too long ago Sharp had a line of square flat screens, they can be tricky to replace
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

8. Re: Portrait Shape TV Replacement

Samsung has a nice line of these portrait style tvs now.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...1+hv1uh+zq2m9/

I have two tube type tv's I'm getting ready to trash, both work fine I think one is 20x20 the other is a 27 "flat panel". you can have both and I'll deliver if your close.

Thank but I will pass. I have the tv guy coming again today to rough out the framing. I was surprised at the price of new tv's for what I need. Dirt cheap. Both replacement sets are under $150 and even lower for some depending on size.