Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Westerbeke Generator Issue

I have a 285 hour 8kw diesel Westerbeke which has been completely trouble free.
    This season has been unusually hot so I've had to utilize it quite a bit. It starts and runs
    exactly as it did when brand new. After about an hour it looses RPM, slows down until
    it shuts off completely. No over heating, no low oil pressure, no unusual noises. It starts right
    up but will run at normal RPM for a short time and then slowly slows down and shuts off.
    I climbed into the engine room and started it from the control panel. I watch while the engine
    started to slow. The plunger Westerbeke Part 023041, Solenoid, Fuel 12Vdc I think this is the correct part
    starts to move to the left away from the running position as the engine slows down. This part was replaced
    maybe 5 years ago. So you would think it's a fuel filter or fuel pump, or fuel regulator issue?
    The filter is clean, Racor, /the engine runs smooth until it dies. I'd like to think I need that same part, but
    when running it's magnetically firmly in place. Where else should I be looking or should I hire a
    professional.
    Thank you,
    Adaily

Re: Westerbeke Generator Issue

When you say

“The filter is clean, Racor, /the engine runs smooth until it dies”

Do you mean that both the racor and the secondary have been charged If not starts there
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Ditto- Filters first.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

DSCF0021.jpgDSCF0018.jpgDSCF0020.jpg

I'll check the filters again. Is it possible it only has the Racor?

Mine has a small pleated fuel filter in a removeble cup with a knurled ring on the right side with the pullies fwd.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I ve never seen a diesel without a secondary. Follow the fuel line.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The secondary filter on the 8 KW Westerbeke is near the electric fuel pump. It's in a steel cup secured by a knurled ring. Turn the ring to remove the cup and filter. Download the parts manual at https://www.westerbeke.com/parts%20m...parts_list.pdf. If this isn't your model Google Westerbeke BTD-8KW parts catalogue and select other links.

Quote Originally Posted by DCMY #92 View Post
    Thats it.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Mine did same thing a couple yrs ago. I took little secondary filter cup off. Filled it with SeaFoam put it back on and started it up. It would run a little longer each time I did this. About 4th time it never died. Has ran its balls off since. A mechanic buddy told me about the SeaFoam. It Cleaned an injector off I guess. That stuff will straighten out a weed wacker , lawn mower etc. that isn't running so hot.

Zak K
    Black Hat Affair