Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gun Cay Cut

Gun Cay Cut

Heading from Bimini to chub. To avoid weather, can we make it through gun Cay cut and follow chart routs to chub? We draw 5’8”. We would travel at or near high tide. Have storms moved around sand?
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Re: Gun Cay Cut

I go thru there almost every month, now with an 84 drawing 5 but before that with a 6 1/4 draft. You won’t see less than 9’ MLW if you follow the Explorer charts track. I ve been in and out night many times too

The shallowest area is actually about 5 miles east of Cat with about 6 1/2’ MLW It s all sand, no coral no rocks so at low tide either go at idle to avoid squatting or just run on plane.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have run that at least 3 times and I have had the same experience as Pascal. I draw 5’. Pascal is correct about the shallowest spot being east of the cut. Also maybe bad advice here but the explorer track takes you right over the shallow water where I am pretty sure if you leave the track a little bit you can find deeper water.

The track thru the cut and behind Cat is spot on so I guess you re referring to the shallows 5nm east of Cat

Over the years I ve tried to look for deeper water by passing either north or south of the Explorer track I can say that it really makes a difference. Maybe half a foot better 1/2 north but nothing significant.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yes correct referring to shallows east of cut. I Should have made that clear.

Thanks guys. Ended up going north around Bimini. Dodged some storms. Chub Cay Club now. Nice marina. Palm Cay or Exumas next.
    Thanks,

Tony

2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

The last time we were at Chub there were signs of improvement but it appeared stalled.

Are things moving? Is the pool cleaned up and well maintained?
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    The last time we were at Chub there were signs of improvement but it appeared stalled. Are things moving? Is the pool cleaned up and well maintained?
    Chub marina is great. New floating docks. Friendly staff. Beautiful pool. Nice looking restaurant, though I have not eaten there.
    Thanks,

Tony

2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”