Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass Help

Fiberglass Help

Hey everyone we have encountered something I have not seen, this is in one of the staterooms, after removing some of the headliner and wall coverings we found this discoloration in the fiberglass. My fiberglass guy says it’s the layers becoming separated, they feel not as solid when sounded with a mallet. No damage ya seem from outside the boat it’s seems it’s in the top layers. Any help and direction with this, curious to what it is and steps to fix it. ThanksBrooks
    Attached Images

Re: Fiberglass Help

Looks like a dry spot in the laminate where there wasnt enough resin. Probably been like thst since day one, i d leave it alone.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I, too, found “dry” spots on my boat that sounded with hollowness, and upon digging, we found that it was merely a spot that was never quite wetted out, rather than being a void or rotted spot. These dry spots do exist in some of our Hatts.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Unless it was recently damaged and stressed there its probably no big deal. If the boat was flexed and that showed up after it can be repaired with bringing out the area and adding new glass.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We did take some damage in that area enough to crack the paneling on the closet in that stateroom. Fiberglass guy says it’s separated from outer wall and balsa core and inner layers. He advises that not needed to cut from outside but remove layers of glass and set balsa core and then build back glass. I sounded the hull in many area it does sound dry in some spots but not flexing at least to what i see. Have you heard of the balsa core becoming loose?
    Attached Images

Yes that happens when the flex is large enough. The inner and outer layers distort and the core breaks free. I'd recommend using a different material than balsa. There's more workable options available.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Texastailboard View Post
    We did take some damage in that area enough to crack the paneling on the closet in that stateroom. Fiberglass guy says it’s separated from outer wall and balsa core and inner layers. He advises that not needed to cut from outside but remove layers of glass and set balsa core and then build back glass. I sounded the hull in many area it does sound dry in some spots but not flexing at least to what i see. Have you heard of the balsa core becoming loose?
    What the heck did that?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Hurricane damage is my guess
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Sadly hurricane damage, my guess rocking against a piling. How does one repair a separation like that, do you remove the layers and reattached if needed with epoxy and lay up layers to bring back the inner hull?

Pretty much
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.