Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Rebuilt kit for Turbo

It appears that I am going to need to rebuild one of my turbos and I'm trying to make sure that I order the right kit. It's an AiResearch M24 turbo. The plate on the backside of the compressor housing lists the Model# as TH08A64, the P/N as R5143110, and the S/N as B2186G B0604.

I have not tore into it very far yet so I'm going largely by the exploded parts diagrams in the DD literature. Problem is, the diagram for the TH08A turbo in the DD manual doesn't match the configuration of the turbo that I have. Primarily the back of the compressor housing on mine is smooth whereas the TH08A diagram in the literature shows it to have radial fins. Mine more closely resembles the diagram shown for the T18 turbo. I notice that most of the rebuild kits that I have found on-line cover a wide range of "T" series turbos but none specifically list this model #. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The engine is a DD 8V71TI in a 1976 Hatteras 46C if that helps.

Re: Rebuilt kit for Turbo

I just pulled all 4 turbos last week and brought them to a turbo shop for rebuild. I strongly recommend you bring them to a specialty shop as well, where they can spin them up and ensure balance. They won’t last long if done incorrectly and there is a reason most mechanics don’t get inside of them.

Who on this forum is the go-to guy for rebuilding turbos? Scott?

DAN

Derek. (Avenger).
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks, Scott!!

I respect your input, and realize this is EXACTLY the case of “if I want your opinion I’ll give it to you”.

Original poster take note...

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    ....I strongly recommend you bring them to a specialty shop as well, where they can spin them up and ensure balance. They won’t last long if done incorrectly and there is a reason most mechanics don’t get inside of them.
    I'm in south Alabama/ NW Florida. Anyone have recommendations for turbo shops in this area?

Couple things, just find the local Garrett Air Research authorized facility, I've always found these shops to really know what they're doing.
    Back when we had the 8v92's, always liked to replace both turbos at the same time to keep everything balanced.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E