Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Quietest hi flow pump for Air Conditioning

I’m looking for a quieter replacement for my Dayton centrifugal pump. The requirements are as follows: 230v. Quiet. 1” input and output (could adapt this if needed). Enough flow for the 5 AC units I have aboard. Current pump is 60gpm but is overkill. I’ve used March pumps in the past on smaller boats and they were whisper quiet. I don’t see one to meet the specs above though. Ideas? Suggestions?

Re: Quietest hi flow pump for Air Conditioning

I have 5 A/C and utilize 2 March Pumps. Three units one one pump and two on the other. Nice to have redundancy in case something happens while remote in the islands. March pumps are VERY quiet.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

I found our Oberdorfer 104 to be quiet enough. My advice would be to call Depco pump and ask their advice. They know their stuff and carry about every pump known to man.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I have a Koolair pump as my watermaker feed pump. It’s designed primarily as a marine aircon pump. Continuous rated and super quiet. Super easy to replace pump parts.

One model is both 240/120 and 50/60Hz. Choose the sealed model. Not expensive.

www.koolairpump.com Very impressed.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 07-14-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Wow those koolair pumps look just like match pumps but are way better priced. I wish they had one with a larger output fitting but for $220 I think it’s worth a try. Thanks.

FWIW, Joe at Depco said today that they have sold several March pumps as replacements for the knock-off Coolaires....

Well it will be an interesting experiment. The koolair I purchased was the $320 epoxy encapsulated version. The flow will be less than the existing centrifugal pump. The pumps are cheap and you can replace just the head if needed. Looks like a good product.

We have a couple of Scot Pump 78s in the boat I run, one for sea water and one for chiller circulation. Pretty quiet and seem to be well built. They come in smaller sizes

http://www.depcopump.com/catalogs/cu...111/Page-7.pdf
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Just an update. I installed the 230v 1000gph Koolair pump last week, and ran it nonstop on a tuna trip from Friday-Sunday. This pump is incredibly quiet. You can barely hear it is on when standing next to it. I'm very pleased with the purchase. The only complaint I have about it is the threaded 1/2" output tube that sticks up. To me it seems a little small, and also a little flimsy. If your hose connection is anything other than a straight line, you need to make sure there is no pressure torquing that fitting since the pump must be mounted below the water line to prime.

Overall, I think it's a win.

For my above the waterline watermaker application with 3/4" hoses, I installed a Jabsco 3/4" one way valve before the Koolair pump. The combination of the above waterline pump and one way valve works flawlessly.