Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: When is enough, enough

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BTW, I am coming up quickly on 75. I am in the middle of replacing 5 Lifeline 8D batteries, single handed. Old have been removed and one new is installed to maintain 12 volts, just in case, as I take advantage of all the space available to do other maintenance. I have definitely found that as the muscle decreases, more creative engineering thinking is required.

I also deal with a personality trait called perfectionism. Makes it hard to subcontract work. I have taken a few steps down this road, hiring out boat washing, bottom painting, and exterior detailing.
    I have that same boat and in my boats configuration I have to lift the 8 D's over the 8K generator. I am now 76 and found out 12 years ago though creative engineering that a good young deckhand and $50 really worked well.

I'm 87, paralyzed from the waist down and planning our next 6 months of cruising. Will give it up when the DNR kicks in.
    (DNR=Do Not Resuscitate)

Keep on boating until the man upstairs takes you. I want to be cruising at 87 too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Well, bigreelsc just set the bar a little higher. And we thank you Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by rjwilliams View Post
    I have that same boat and in my boats configuration I have to lift the 8 D's over the 8K generator. I am now 76 and found out 12 years ago though creative engineering that a good young deckhand and $50 really worked well.
    Next time I will be sure to be on the outlook for a young deckhand that can swap out 5 Lifeline 160 pound batteries from the dock to the boat back deck, down the lazarette ladder through the engine room door, over any obstacles, into battery boxes in an engine room with 4 foot of headroom, single handedly. All while reversing the route for the 5 spent ones.

Meanwhile, the engineered approach worked just fine again, safely.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

bigreelsc has indeed set the bar. Thanks for speeking up.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Here’s a pic of our club’s senior member, who belongs to two clubs since there’s just not enough going on in any one club. I don’t know how much maintenance he’s doing but he still an excellent captain at 92. His wife and cap retrieving diver also.
    Attached Images

Next time I will be sure to be on the outlook for a young deckhand that can swap out 5 Lifeline 160 pound batteries from the dock to the boat back deck, down the lazarette ladder through the engine room door, over any obstacles, into battery boxes in an engine room with 4 foot of headroom, single handedly. All while reversing the route for the 5 spent ones.

I designed a rig with rollers and crank that can lift the batteries (8D) out of ER, then roll out of position (old) and into position (new). Worked well, plus I bought a good grade of hand cart to move the batteries to the boat. If interested, I can post pics.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Sounds interesting but it still requires a decent amount of effort. I think I prefer the fine engineering solution proposed by rjwilliams...seems to make the job effortless.

Walt

To each his own. I used to take pride in "engineering" that stuff too and have come up with many well thought out ones and a few "MacGyver'd" solutions as well, but my body just doesn't agree with "boat yoga" any more so the "young deck hand" will remain my 1st choice while I spend earnest time in the cockpit working out the arthritis in by right elbow with a glass of single malt.