Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

When is enough, enough

With age creeping up daily on me, and just reading Walter P's comment about hanging up boating at 81, I have a question/poll?

Discounting sudden onset health problems, at what age do members exit the Hatteras ownership experience by choice?
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

Re: When is enough, enough

65 and the worse thing I ever did could kick myself in the butt.
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

I am 66 now. Hope to keep it going as long as I can. However, my wife is older than me and has a harder time in helping out in docking, etc. Perhaps the writing is on the wall but just don't want to see it.

BTW, I am coming up quickly on 75. I am in the middle of replacing 5 Lifeline 8D batteries, single handed. Old have been removed and one new is installed to maintain 12 volts, just in case, as I take advantage of all the space available to do other maintenance. I have definitely found that as the muscle decreases, more creative engineering thinking is required.

I also deal with a personality trait called perfectionism. Makes it hard to subcontract work. I have taken a few steps down this road, hiring out boat washing, bottom painting, and exterior detailing.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

To paraphrase my friends in the NRA, "when they pry my cold dead fingers from around the wheel."
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

It more a matter of your personal fitness than age.

That said, 80 plus or minus seems to be the number where most leave the captaining to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BTW, I am coming up quickly on 75. I am in the middle of replacing 5 Lifeline 8D batteries, single handed..
    WHAT?

You sir are my hero.

I've planned for the next owner of Blue Note in my estate planning. I have no intent to sell her, ever. I decided long ago that the idea of watching someone else drive her away was more than I could bear, so I've made my mind up that when my boat and I part company, it will be when I die. Which hopefully will be a long time from now.

My son will take over and treat me like a VIP.

I hope he see this.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    My son will take over and treat me like a VIP.

I hope he see this.

Very Incontinent Person?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau