Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Air handler freezing

Installed?

That's about right for the industry.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

There is still plenty R22 around. Just checked Ebay. 30 lb bottles average $450. Getting certified in A/C was one of the first things I did after getting my 43DC. Still have half a bottle of R-22. The Tiara has 1 unit versus the 3 of the Hat.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

It hit $1450 for a 30 last year if memory serves. What a bunch of government produced bs when we were paying so much mlm or because the tree huggers don't like it.

FWIW we just changed a system in the house. Couldn't get the contractor to give me the old r22. They treat it like gold.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    There is still plenty R22 around. Just checked Ebay. 30 lb bottles average $450. Getting certified in A/C was one of the first things I did after getting my 43DC. Still have half a bottle of R-22. The Tiara has 1 unit versus the 3 of the Hat.
    I'll be buying my own tank and paying service fees for now on. $239 for 3lbs is BS if 30lbs can be bought for $450

I stocked up from eBay a couple of years ago from a reputable seller. Worked out great.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    I'll be buying my own tank and paying service fees for now on. $239 for 3lbs is BS if 30lbs can be bought for $450
    If you can find someone to service it. The companies have to make some money on service or it's not worth it. Having to buy all the gear, refrigerants, pumps, recovery systems and then make a profit is tough when you can't sell parts and the like.

Would you allow your customers to bring their own materials to you to save money?

The going rate here for r22 is between $80 and 100 per pound for homes. Boats are at the higher side. You did not get screwed.

And no I was not the servicer but I know the routine.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    If you can find someone to service it. The companies have to make some money on service or it's not worth it. Having to buy all the gear, refrigerants, pumps, recovery systems and then make a profit is tough when you can't sell parts and the like.

Would you allow your customers to bring their own materials to you to save money?

The going rate here for r22 is between $80 and 100 per pound for homes. Boats are at the higher side. You did not get screwed.

And no I was not the servicer but I know the routine.
    Give me a break!! He was on the boat for less than an hour, charged $239 for freon and a $90 service fee, that's $284/hr. Really Scott?

What do you do for work?

Would you allow clients to do the same? Can I bring my own food to your restaurant? My parts to your repair shop?

If you add up the costs of servicing boats its insane.

Insurance to work on a boat in the water is subject to all kinds of regulations and is expensive.
    Insurance for a commercial vehicle is expensive.
    Insurance for liability is expensive.

He probably had $100 in the cost of the freon and made a decent days pay for a decent days work. Why is it so hard to understand that service providers who do good work should be paid fairly. Its not like you have to own a boat. Its a luxury and its not the service guys responsibility to make it affordable to you.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Give me a break!! He was on the boat for less than an hour, charged $239 for freon and a $90 service fee, that's $284/hr. Really Scott?
    I would go in to the HVAC business and do it cheaper if I were you. This guy wouldn't be able to compete with your prices and go under

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    He probably had $100 in the cost of the freon and made a decent days pay for a decent days work.
    I guess if you're too lazy to work more than an hour then he did have a decent days work. I hardly call checking an AC units pressure and adding freon a "decent days work". Maybe resuscitating a 3 year old that drown in the family pool or transferring a 51 year old having an acute myocardial infarction to the cath lab within twenty minutes of arriving to the Emergency Department or watching a 47 year old that can't talk due to an acute ischemic stroke slowly regain that ability after administering him Alteplase is more like a "decent days work", that's what I do on a daily basis. Think I make $284/hr?

YES, I do take my own parts to my mechanic ALL THE TIME. I decided to pass on my mechanics parts offerings on my recent overheat issue and I bought parts from a reputable company I have dealt with for many years. I have taken food into a restaurant when I wanted to eat something other than what the rest of the family wanted to eat. Carry on Scott, I know you'll continue to want to argue your point and I don't care to entertain your opinion
    Last edited by ageless; 07-16-2018 at 09:42 PM.