Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Preferred Motor Oil for Detroit 6V92's

Any suggestions on what is the best motor oil for Detroit 6V92's. Just thought I would ask those who have had the most experience with Detroits.

Thanks for any suggestions

Re: Preferred Motor Oil for Detroit 6V92's

If you have a source for it Delo 100 @ 40wt or 30wt based on your climate is my preference. I use 40wt in florida.

My distributor says there is a limited quantity of the Delo 100 available, so at some point I'm going to have to switch probably.

Many don't realize but the delo 400 readily available in stores changed it's formulation years ago to include an ash content that was higher than spec'd for the 2 cycle engines.

I have found Delo 400 / 40W, but not Delo 100. Is there a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Partnership View Post
    I have found Delo 400 / 40W, but not Delo 100. Is there a difference?
    Yes, mainly what affects us is the ash content being higher in the 400 and being out of spec for 2 cycle detroits. I've been told the extra ash content will lead to carbon buildup and possibly valve damage.

You will not usually find delo100 in stores, you will need to contact your local fuel depot and get them to order it for you. It's not expensive, just not much of it around anymore. I think some of the guys are using a Napa oil of some kind that meets the engines specs.

THanks for the heads-up.

If it's not broke don't fix it.
    I think Detroit Diesel says it best...

"Maximize your engine’s performance and longevity with the only oils that are designed, tested and approved specifically for use in your Detroit Diesel 2-Cycle engine. Power Guard® Oil is essential for heavy-duty 2-Cycle commercial on-highway and off-highway equipment to satisfy critical lubrication needs."
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

How many people spend more time discussing their oil than they do running it through their engines.

WTF people.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Buy mine at NAPA, believed to be Valvoline.
    12v71 Ti's @650hp. With regular oil changes, my usage at about 20 hrs a month @ 1300rpm the engines will probably rust to death before the oil gets them. Mind they may outlast me.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

I ran either the NAPA 75118 (I still remember the part number!) or the Detroit private label which was/is Mobil Delvac. Samples always came back perfect. Straight 40w, CF2 (though that certification is no longer official, the oil refiners know it).
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014