Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Awlwood finishing

Just a comment on the table.

If it's for dining the finish should be rated for food contact.

If not keep it covered just to be safe while eating.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I agree. I think none of these finishes are rated for food contact, is my guess.

This will all be exterior, though. I had to order the red primer, it just came in, so the first coat goes on today.

And don’t forget to sanitize the bottle if yer going to drink out of it.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Unless one comes from a primitive culture where they eat off a table without plates, i dont think being food rated is a concern... yeah your bread may touch the finish. Are the finishes sprayed on veneered tables food rated? I doubt it
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Please shift the brain into gear before speaking of such things.

Many finishes are good rated. It's not just the contact but sanitization and chipping that can be dangerous plus many finishes are not even rated for indoor use because of gassing off toxic chemicals
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I d better stop cutting food directly on the finished awlwood.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Finished sanding yesterday. Red Awlwood primer went on today. This is interesting- it's isn't a primer in the way you usually think of primer, which is opaque, high-build, adhesion promoter material. It's more like a filler stain, really. Tacks up really fast. It will be ready for a light sanding tomorrow and then the first of six to eight coats of gloss finish. It's definitely going to be darker and redder; I was surprised at how dark it came out. But the gloss finish should make it look fine. I always thought the teak back there on the aft bulkhead was too yellow. It will be more the tone of mahogany when done, I hope.

I will end up with a lot of the primer left over, I think, so I may think about doing some of the interior using it and the satin Awlwood when it comes time to refinish some areas.

I remember meeting with the Awlwood tech at a FLIBS booth. He said "if you think you have too much material on your brush, just add a little more!"
    I'll be curious to see if you have success using Kelpy's 1/2 capfull of T0201 reducer idea to preserve the leftovers.

I have never tried the Awlwood and I'm not sure I like that red filler/stain look. I use Imron MS1 clear over top of my Epiphanes. Its been on there 4 years so far and still looking good. Our finishes last longer up here so time will tell.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Yes, I think they would- less temp, less sun, and no salt. And quite a few boats are indoors for the winter, which helps.

I am not certain the red was the right stain, but it's on there, now, so no way to go but forward. I am not sanding it all off. We'll see how it turns out. It's more a red-brown color, actually, it's not red as such.