Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Re: Awlwood finishing

I use Awlspar over Chris Craft Red filler stain on my Cutlass and it comes out nice. Over the years some of the mahogany has been replaced with teak so the color doesn''t quite match but looks good overall.
    After about 10 or so coats, it is sanded down smoth and finished with seven or eight coats of Awlbrite. Looks good when done. I wonder if Awlwood would give the same glass smooth base as Awlspar or if there are any advantages to one over the other.

Re: Awlwood finishing

First coat is on. So far, so good. Awlwood gloss is thick. I reduced the first coat a little bit to help it flow out, I am going to use a bit mroe brushing reducer in the second and subsequent coats as it is pretty hot here today, although the work is in the shade.

FYI - Awlwood curing time is much more related to humidity than temperature. Dry air > slow cure. Also best to use a deep container with less surface area - will give longer pot life.

Right. This weekend we have fairly high humidity and daytime temps in the 90s, so the finish is curing fairly quickly. Two more coats tomorrow, if I start early in the day. So far, so good.

Only gripe is that the red primer has really darkened the wood. Quite a bit darker than the samples showed. If I were starting from scratch, I'd thin it with their clear primer so the color wasn't as dense. But I don't have that option now. FWIW, I think with all the teak done the same color it will be fine. There isn't that much wood left on the exterior of this boat at this point.

Almost done with the first phase of all this- tomorrow I will have six coats on all the teak trim. After that, the tape comes off. I'll let it cure up good and solid for a couple of days, then re-mask it, sand it to get the runs out, and finish up with a thinned coat for the final gloss.

Then it's on to the rod holders and some deck repairs. Mostly new paint.

Red worked out better than I thought it would. Sanded a bit today, and final coat(s) as soon as it stops raining here. Humid is fine, actual rain not so fine. I will put photos in my gallery when done.

Send photos of the completed job. Before and after if possible.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

You would not want to see the before, and anyway, I did not take photos. However, I will when she's done, which I hope is very soon.

Some photos in my gallery, if anyone's interested. I have to put all the metal trim back on. Overall, it came out fairly well- not like Quentin's sprayed wood finish, but nice for a brushing job. I'm going to see how this holds up and probably put on another coat or two in the spring, if it holds up well.

That looks great, Jim!