Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Docklines Undersized Spliced Eye Size

Notice: This is a "flare" notice to be aware of the actual size of your braided dock lines "spliced eye" that you may purchase. I do not mention vendor names or the manufacturer below, because supposedly I am to be contacted by a VP at the manufacturer, about this issue. For now, just be on notice that there is a chance that dock lines you may purchase may well be undersized! Please check they actual size before taking possession.

Note1: The majority of braided dock lines, have pre-spliced eyes rated as a nominal 12 inches. This includes 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" lines, at least.
    Note2: My original dock lines spliced eyes all measure 12"-13" internal length, when stretched out. These lines are all about 8-9 years old, but some have little use, so I am ruling out stretch from heavy use.

Concern: I purchased some new dock lines last year and put them into service this year (2018):
    Surprise) Sorry to say, the spliced eyes are undersized and it is all I can do to get they over my 1972 43' DCFB cleats; pretty much useless. They were 9.5"'s and 10"'s for a 12" nominal size. So I went searching for replacements. I also had a brand new pair set that was so bad, i.e. virtually would not over my cleats, that I sold them last year for a song to a boat owner for which they were a fit (Searay with smaller cleats).
    Finding 1) When I visited my original source marine vendor, all their stock had undersized spliced eyes! None closed to the 12" nominal size. My lines were "out of warranty", so I am a happy owner, as is.
    Finding 2) I contacted a well known chandlery and spoke with their tech support. They pulled some stock and found that one brand (mine in question) were all undersized. Their other brand was all sized correctly.

All the lines that are undersized, in above, were manufactured "offshore". I will leave out the country, so as to avoid giving away any info that could aggravate the source. However, if after a couple weeks, there is no response, I will escalate my concerns. For now, gentle.

At any rate, I would be curious if any one else finds their recent dock lines purchased to be have less than 12" eyes.

P.s., I consider this a big deal, because if you casting off or tying up, under adverse conditions, bad or non-fitting lines could be a huge issue. Thanks.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 07-06-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: Docklines Spllce Eye Size

Smaller eye size means less rope length to make up the dock line. Just like many products today, they
    make the product amount less but package it in the same container. Price is not less but the average
    consumer doesn't know the difference. I had the same issue some years ago and I solved it by buying
    line in large 600 ft spools and braiding my own eyes. A bit of work but it gets easier with experience and
    you end up with exactly what you want.

There is an outfit in Ft. Lauderdale that makes up custom lines to your specs and they cost very little
    more than off the shelf inferior lines. My nephew was the skipper of a large mega yacht down there
    a few years ago and they had new lines made up regularly. I can probably get the contact info for the
    line guys if anyone wants it.

Walt

I never bought pre=spliced lines. I had mine made to order by Miami Cordage or Crystal Coast Cordage.
    in Morehead City

http://www.crystalcoastcordage.com/

http://www.miamicordage.com/

I liked having eyes in the 18-24" range, and at least one spare line with a 36" eye. I prefer to cleat at least my spring lines to the boat and have the eye on the dock cleat or piling. I liked having cafe protection on the eye installed.

Rope Inc in Ft Lauderdale is another supplier, as is the ACE Marine in Morehead. I believe Defender will make them up for you as well
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Or you could buy bulk line and learn to splice it yourself. It's very easy to do and you always get exactly the size you want. Plus it's cheaper.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Are you using there strand or have you spliced braid on braid? I've dobe three strand twist years ago and it is easy and I prefer them. I actually spliced three strand twist lines on a full cover for a 25' Formula sport boat and then made up mooring lines. Worked out great have not tried bread on bread yet.

While 3 strand nylon is fairly simple, it takes a good bit of time. With braided line you need an appropriate size fid to start and in my case I use a padded jaw vise to hold one end. I think you can do braided lines as fast or faster than going through all that braiding. Try it with small diameter line to get used to the process, then do your larger lines. Small dia lines are the same as larger lines but you need more muscle power for the large lines.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Or you could buy bulk line and learn to splice it yourself. It's very easy to do and you always get exactly the size you want. Plus it's cheaper.
    True, but some of us a) lack the fine motor skills and/or b) value our time at a price and/or c) don't have the patience. All three apply to me. The price to have a professional rigger do it is extremely cheap given any of those three issues.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Update, Sun, Jul 8, 2018: Was in N. MI, so I visited a chandlery that I used for decades really. They had the dock lines I have been researching and in the "in-the-clear" manufacturer's name. Also, the mfg. location was the USA (their site).

We pulled four boxes of 5/8"s dock line. Three of the four had 12" or greater eyes and the 4th was 11 1/2"; close, but slightly under 12".

So I purchased the two 25' lines (for bow/stern) that were 12" and 12 1/2"; the other good one was 40', which I did not need at this time.

So this latest research indicates that their in the USA site is, for the most part, producing spliced eyes to spec., per this limited sample size.

Now, I will wait to see if their officer contacts me.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    True, but some of us a) lack the fine motor skills and/or b) value our time at a price and/or c) don't have the patience. All three apply to me. The price to have a professional rigger do it is extremely cheap given any of those three issues.
    If those criteria apply then it certainly makes sense. I was only suggesting an alternative.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

There's always a sailboater that needs beer money if you don't want to do it yourself. You'd be surprised what a 6 pack of Bush light buys today.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.