Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Annapolis School of Seamanship - Diesel courses

I want to become more comfortable with diesel engines before I begin my big boat (50'+) search in earnest. The Annapolis School of Seamanship has two, back-to-back courses - Basic and Advanced Diesel - that run 2 days each.

They claim it's for familiarization and learning to do basic maintenance and troubleshooting - I won't become a mechanic. That sounds just like what I'm looking for.

Any comments or experience with them pro or con?

Re: Annapolis School of Seamanship - Diesel courses

I went to the level 1 and 2 course over a 4 day period. I found it super helpful for learning basics but I definitely wouldn't consider myself a mechanic!

Adam

I was just talking to my wife the other day about simular but seeing about going to Caterpillar school. It will be a big cost but well worth it.

Would they still deal with a two stroke diesel? (Most) everything out there is digital and you'd be listening to "the ECU this and the ECU that?"
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Would they still deal with a two stroke diesel? (Most) everything out there is digital and you'd be listening to "the ECU this and the ECU that?"
    When we bought our previous boat (1990 Ocean CPMY w/DD 6-71 TIB's) I took a three day course offered by DD in Ft. Lauderdale. I found that in fact most of the course WAS geared toward the newer engines, and my two-strokes were referred to almost as an afterthought. They did pull an injector on a small two-stroke as the "lab" part of the course, but I could have watched a mechanic do that on my engines and would have learned just as much for way less dollars. Not saying don't do it, just ask lots of questions first and have a good idea of what you might expect to learn for what you spend.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

I'm sure the course would be great. Back when I was learning this stuff, in pretty much the same situation as you I picked up a few books. Doesn't necessarily matter what size diesel engine the book is about all the concepts are pretty much the same on any marine diesel.

My Favorite book was "Troubleshooting Marine Diesels" by Peter Compton.

Easy reading, very well illustrated and packed full of good info you will need to commit to memory.