Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Amtico and Epoxy

I had most of a box of T&H Amtico left over and decided to use it in the new master head. I didn’t like the glue supplied by with the Amtico as it wasn’t forgiving. Use a little too much and it would take longer to cure and seap thru the seams

This time I used West epoxy with the slow 206 hardener and 410 fairing filler. Kept it fairly liquid and mixed 6 pumps at a time, quickly spread out with a notched spreader. Still a bit messy but much easier to clean as once the epoxy cures (about two hours) it is set and won’t come out like the glue.

Next time (new forward head) I ll try Nautikfloor but I had this left over so i figured I may as well use it

Sorry about the sideway image... I had to upgrade my phone to IOS11 and the image resize I used for years is no longer compatible with 11... tried another one.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Pascal; 07-04-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Amtico and Epoxy

Very nice. I really like the color of the different planks.

I will be using amtico in my galley. What did you use to clean up the epoxy off the face. I think I read a while back that mikep used epoxy as well. Is the recommended adhesive like a contact adhesive?
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Acetone and a roll of shop towel. The recommended adhesive is not contact cement as you only apply it to the floor not to both pieces like contact cement

Before buying Amtico check out http://www.nautikflor.com/boat-flooring/marine-flooring

It s about $10 / sq ft. I Forgot the price of the Amtico
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I put Nauikflor in my motorhome and I was not impressed. The job ended up okay and looks really nice but the stuff does not snap together and stay together like they claim. You need to glue it down and not let it float.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Very nice! You will be very happy with the durability. We have the Amatico (Teak & Holly) running through about 75% of the the boat. It has been down for about 10 years. It gets a lot of abuse with kids, dogs, water, etc. and still looks new. One of the best decisions we made in flooring upgrades. With the upcoming refit, we will be replacing any remaining carpet with the Amatico.
    Best regards,
    --
    David