Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Princess stove 110 or 220 ?

The wires on the back of the stove are Red White and Black. Not what I recall
    as 110.(Green black and white). Is it 220 or 110 and what do the wires represent.
    If the black is hot and white neutral is the red a ground?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Family Tides - 1969 41' Twin Cabin
    Mema - 1984 17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    High Bar Harbor Yacht Club
    Barnegat Light NJ

Re: Princess stove 110 or 220 ?

Wire colors back then didn’t mean much, at least compared to what we have now. In my 1970 53 Hatteras used a duplex wire with red and green plus two separate green wires for the 220v stove/oven Go figure.

Only way to be sure is to check with a tester to know which one is which...

As to whether the unit is 110 or 220 you should be able to tell looking at the breaker
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    The wires on the back of the stove are Red White and Black. Not what I recall
    as 110.(Green black and white). Is it 220 or 110 and what do the wires represent.
    If the black is hot and white neutral is the red a ground?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    If it's on your 41 TC, it's 110v. There is no 220v on these boats in this vintage.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

If memory serves me correctly black and white are 110 volt for the stove top elements and red and white are 110 volts for the bake element. Might have the red and black reversed in terms of which wires power what elements but with our unit you could power the stove top OR the oven but not both at the same time with a single 110 volt circuit.

Hope that helps.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

I should add that you'd want to verify on the unit that it's configured for 110 volt service in which case my previous post is valid. If' it's set up for 220 volts then red and black are the "hot" legs of the connection and white is neutral.

Regardless, you'll also want to make sure that the unit is grounded back to the AC service.
    Brian L

Thanks for all of your input as usual. This is an extra stove I'd like sell but I want to test it to be sure
    everything works but it's out of the boat and in my garage. Since it's from a '67, SeaEric mentioned
    it's most likely 110. I'd like to wire it to a plug and check it out but the color wires confuse me and there
    are only the three. Any ideas how I do this?
    Family Tides - 1969 41' Twin Cabin
    Mema - 1984 17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    High Bar Harbor Yacht Club
    Barnegat Light NJ

Call princess with the model and serial number. They can probably get you the information you need to test it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Call princess with the model and serial number. They can probably get you the information you need to test it.
    I think you'd need your Ouija Board for that communication. Long gone AFAIK.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I though seaward bought them

Shiite.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Yes it's actually pretty simple to connect to a standard 110vac source. Take a cord with a regular 110 volt plug and connect the black wire from the stove to black wire on the cord and white wire from the stove to the white wire on the cord. Make sure everything is off on the stove and then plug the cord into the wall.

Once connected turn on a burner on the stove top and see if it heats up. If it does then you're done testing that connection. If it does not heat up then shut off the burner and turn on the oven. If it heats up then you know that circuit works. If neither heats up then you've got a problem with the stove.

Shut everything off and unplug the unit.

Now disconnect the black wire from the stove to the cord and connect the red wire from the stove to the black wire on the cord and repeat the same process. Either the burners or the oven will heat up if the stove is working OK.

That's it.
    Brian L