Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Cruisair evaporator replacement fan motor

Here is what I ended up going with.... Grainger and Dayton provide a good deal of technical specs for comparison... this looks about as close a replacement as I could hope for....

DAYTON OEM Blower: Rectangular, With Flange, 5 1/4 in Blower Wheel Dia, Shaded Pole Motor, 115V AC - 6FHX9|70633277 - Grainger

Attached Files
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

To wrap my part of this thread.... kinda.... the Dayton Blower was basically a drop in replacement for my Cruisair model... see pics..

Guest Stateroom Blower Comparison 01.jpgGuest Stateroom Blower Comparison 02.jpgGuest Stateroom Blower Comparison 03.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Now for the kinda part.....

The transition piece from the blower inlet (center of the blower) to the evaporator was a little rusty... so I took out the old wire wheel and took it out to the dock to knock off the rust and repaint.... well I was 99% done and there was this one little spot left.... when I went to wheel it ... I hit the top edge of it and literally flipped it two feet in the air and into the water it went....

I tried to retrieve with my clam rake... no love... was able to get a diver within an hour to dive down and do a search... no love.... so now I'm trying to find this piece... to me it looks like the original one was fabricated... appears they took the inlet plate off the blower and then tack welded a standard duct work transition piece on it.. the inlet piece is 5" in diameter... anyone have a source ???

Also, I'm in the Bradenton/St. Pete/Tampa area.... anyone know of a good tin knocker that could fab a piece for me??.... I do have the inlet piece from the new blower....

Guest Blower Transition Piece 01.jpgGuest Blower Transition Piece 02.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

I have tried to find a source for this also. Long ago phased out.
    If you find a lead, I need two.
    I have one held together with fiberglass tape and epoxy.
    I was about to check into old stove pipe or duct.

It is steel, time to start trolling with a BAM (big asp magnet).

JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

So this one worked for me....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DE13DBFI&psc=1

I could have just bolted it direct to the fan housing... however I chose to attach the above transition piece to the fan outlet flange. I did this by using West System and thickening it to a peanut butter consistency and letting that cure overnight. Then I drilled an additional two holes to make a total of six screws to attach this assembly to the fan. This allows the fan flow to be more efficient.

I also insulted the fan blower housing and the transition piece.

When I went to install, the new transition piece was basically the same ID as the OD of the transition piece on the evaporator. So I pulled out the cutting wheel and segmented the new transition piece. This allowed it to slip over the evaporator transition piece and I secured that with two metal hose clamps. The connection seems to be very strong and secure.

Time will tell....

Here some pics ...

Guest Stateroom New Blower 07.jpgGuest Stateroom New Blower 06.jpgGuest Stateroom New Blower 05.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Attached Images
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

I have just finished replacing the blower in my mid stateroom and am wondering what kind of insulation tape that is. Can you just pick it up at a big box home store?
    thanks!
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI