Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: OEM water heater finally leaks

I replaced my 20 gallon Bradford White last winter. They still make the exact same unit but its called a 19 gallon to get around the new efficiency standards.

It was not problem to get it out. You just have to remove the trim around the engine room door and it comes right out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    That water heater was the very first thing I ever had to fix on Sanctuary. I mean...Day One! It seems they built the boat around it. I used a sledge hammer to beat it in just enough to get it through the doorways to get it off the boat.
    You must be really strong. I got the jacket off and hit the cast iron tank as hard as I could with a sledge hammer to no avail. As soon as my back recovers from yesterday, I’ll try the sawzall.

On a brighter note, draining the water from the old tank fixed 1/2 of my port list.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I finally got the old WH out. Had to cut it in half with a sawzall. The bottom was filled with several inches of rusty sludge nearly up to the lower element.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee