Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

OEM water heater finally leaks

Looking for sympathy. It’ll have to be cut up to get through the doors. I’ll be shopping Home Depot today.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: OEM water heater finally leaks

That water heater was the very first thing I ever had to fix on Sanctuary. I mean...Day One! It seems they built the boat around it. I used a sledge hammer to beat it in just enough to get it through the doorways to get it off the boat. If you’re really lucky, you might can find a 39 or 40 gallon replacement that you can fit through the doors. At the time I replaced mine, back in May of 2006, no one made one that size that would fit through the doors. I had to remove EVERY door and door jam assembly from the salon/galley right through to the master stateroom. That’s three. And being Hatteras quality, nothing came apart easily - it’s all glued and screwed and the screw holes finished off with teak plugs.

I’d rather replace the washer/dryer “down the hatch” than that damn water heater. Good luck, my friend. I’ll be thinking of you.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I feel your pain. I've been painting mine with phosphoric acid regularly to slow the cabinet rusting. In my case, it looks like the stbd HE will have to come off to do the replacement.

Besides the rust, I have a new concern; I'm worried about melting the guts. The dock water coming in may be be hotter than the old girl can take.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I went deep and bought a Triad Stainless Steel with fiberglass water tank. This baby should last a life time.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

41 years old, pretty amazing.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Besides the rust, I have a new concern; I'm worried about melting the guts. The dock water coming in may be be hotter than the old girl can take.
    I heard that! I live in Miami. I learned the hard way one summer day when I ruined a load of clothes by washing them on the cold water setting using dockside water. Severely shrunk everything. Now, when I want to washing something in “not hot” water in the summer, I make sure I’m running off the tank and not dockside water. We don’t have cold water here until again around late October or early November.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

The water coming out after a minute is cool. Problem is the section of hose between the pedestal and the boat White hose helps too. Dark hose will burn your feet if you get splashed.

As to the water heater, I was lucky that mine made it till the repower and it came out Thur the over head hatch. Almost impossible to find a new one that fits thru the ER doors. I ended up installing the new one in the forward corner of the old diverted which I will soon become a head, it will be under the sink counter top

Otherwise you have to search online for one than fits. Not easy
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Same with me, had to cut up my OEM heater 2vyears ago to get it out. Sad thing is that heater lasted 40 plus years, but I will be amazed if the new one goes 10 years, but that is the state of stuff made today.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The water coming out after a minute is cool. Problem is the section of hose between the pedestal and the boat White hose helps too. Dark hose will burn your feet if you get splashed.
    Except... the dock water here is suspended under the dock and has 8 or 900 feet to run before I get it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Except... the dock water here is suspended under the dock and has 8 or 900 feet to run before I get it.
    So is mine (and yours, too, Pascal). In the afternoon I cannot get cold water, ever, no matter how long I run it. I suppose there could be cold water during a day where all of the boat washers are on the dock running water all day, and Pascal, maybe that’s how you’re getting cold water at times. I guess I’m not home using water when the boat washers are busy.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"