Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Questions 53C

Re: Questions 53C

Well guys all good advice. The cables look like they have been replaced at some time by the previous owner, but I don’t know when. I could not detect any rust or corrosion on them and the jackets look in excellent shape. I think I will start by disconnecting the cockpit controls first. It doesn’t work anyways. The previous owner said they didn’t work when he purchased the boat in 95’. Can I just completely remove the transmission and throttles cables from the cockpit controls until I have an opportunity to dig deeper into it later to see why it doesn’t work?

Chris
    Superior Nights

Re: Questions 53C

I can't imagine why they wouldn't work. The only job they have is to move the throttle and shift levers. Are they hooked up at both ends? If so, they have to work. They should move when you move a bridge controol. They are attached to the same place. Our 36C has an inside helm, so I am a self ordained expert on that subject. Your controls will never move as freely as ones for a single station. I would disconnect the cables at the cockpit station and make sure the levers all move freely and that none have detents. You can adjust them and you will see how when you have the assembly in your hands. While they are off, move the bridge levers to see if they seem freer. Now replace the cockpit controls and disconnect the cables from their engines. After the cockpit cables are off,( do this only if you aren't satisfied with the results from working and lubing the lever sets), try the bridge controls again. I would not remove the cockpit cables. That is a great system for short handed docking. By all means do not pull those cables out as you won't be able to get new cables in. You have to hook cables end to end and pull the new ones through.