Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Murphy Swichgauge

Talking to a guy today that has ran numerous boats suggested I install Murphy gauges such as these on my Detroits to warn me if the coolant level drops. Anyone have them on their boat and if so where are they installed, experience with them, etc? Was suggested to me to install to monitor coolant level in tank with an external alarm. Thus if coolant level drops due to leaking or busted hose you would know before engine overheats. Sounds like a good idea and they are only about $100 bucks each. I was thinking of mounting on engine room bulkhead and piping over to the coolant tank. They also provide a visual gauge so you dont have to stick your finger in the radiator cap to check levels as you do on mine which are inches from the ER ceiling

Re: Murphy Swichgauge

They are plumbed in at tar expansion tank top line above coolant level bottom line five or so inches below coolant level. Then wired to the warning light and alarm.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Is there an existing port that is normally used or do they have to be tapped? I have two ports for anodes was thinking of somehow using one of them

You will likely be drilling and taping.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    You will likely be drilling and taping.
    Yea I rethought my question and the anodes are on sea water side so that wouldn't work

After my recent overheating escapade, I am installing them after mechanic recommended. I'd be interested in following your install

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    After my recent overheating escapade, I am installing them after mechanic recommended. I'd be interested in following your install
    Does your mechanic have any suggestions on where to install? I hope to get the guy that recommended to me in engine room this week and look at mine. He is not a mechanic per se but has built several charter boats and is good at making stuff

I recently found out that the reason for my port engine overheating was a broken line. Wonder if these could be installed on CAT 3208 engines. Anyone know?

I should have specified a broken coolant hose leading to low coolant level.

Quote Originally Posted by cnairn View Post
    I recently found out that the reason for my port engine overheating was a broken line. Wonder if these could be installed on CAT 3208 engines. Anyone know?
    According to my guy they are universal and made specifically to indicate coolant loss from broken lines, slow leaks, etc. When connected to an alarm they will go off when coolant reaches a level that you pre set