Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Dingy/tender who has what?

nourvania 11'6" 30hp. perfect. buying new today...AB. PO had it tricked out, and is a gem.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    10'9 Apex with 15 hp Honda. I'm sure mine weighs less than Seven's as it has an aversion to air...
    I have issues with air as well. I have to add to it every couple of weeks. Does yours have a seat in the center like a jet ski?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I have issues with air as well. I have to add to it every couple of weeks. Does yours have a seat in the center like a jet ski?
    Bench without a back and with a console. Wish mine would hold air for even a couple days... For every leak I fix, 2 new ones occur.

Did find a guy in Ft. Lauderdale who will fabricate new Hyphalon tubes for $2,200.00. Trying to reconcile doing it for a 1999 hull, albeit in decent shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolsntoys View Post
    I have a 53 that had a 13 whaler. But plan on putting a 12 inflatable with a 15 hp motor. What hasn’t been mentioned is your ability to drag it off the beach when needed. I’m not dragging a 1000 lb boat of the sand in low tide
    We use our Whaler now to go to the beach all the time, beaches where there is a 3-4' tide swing. That's a big reason I kept it when selling my Hatteras. Anchor it so it won't be high and dry at low tide. Sometimes you have make adjustments by bringing the bow rode in and resetting the sterm anchor or letting it out. We have a transom mount depth finder so watch that to get in best position. We are almost always the smallest boat at the beach, so it can be done with a 4 or 5000 pound boat just as well.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I replaced my 13' whaler with a 12' Rigid Boat.
    Total weight with a 30hp Evinrude and a full tank is about 525#
    My Whaler was way over 1000#. Much easer to launch and load.

We've recently sold the 11' Boston Whaler and put a pair of kayaks on top. Tired of the launch/retrieval process with the crane, and done with maintaining another little boat with temperamental outboard.

I'm just over it.

The kayaks weigh ~35 pounds each and are so much easier in all regards. Not for distance obviously but they're good for what we want to do.

This is probably not what you are looking for though!

Cheryl
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"

I was thinking of maybe getting an 11' whaler but I'm leaning more toward the 13 whaler I think the 11 might be a bit small for my purpose. I do have a tandem kayak I plan on roping to my swim platform while I'm in my slip then haul it up top when I cruise.

8. Re: Dingy/tender who has what?

Zodiac YL420 with a 50 yamaha. Its got to be in the 800lb range or so. I agree on the tubeset only lasting 10 years. I just had to put a new one on the year before last for around 2k. It took forever at the time due to Zodiac going under. In fact I think our tender sat at the dealer for around 6 months while that was going on.

In general the Rib's seem to be lighter than whalers.

Finding a satisfactory small tender to fit on my flybridge on my 50MY had been a challenge. I wanted a 13 ft Whaler but feared it would be too heavy and too long (would overhang the bridge deck when the outboard was raised). Tried several other brands but all were constrained in carrying capacity and were way too tippy for grandchildren to operate.

Then the 11 ft Whaler came out. I bought one in 1975 and have used it ever since. It's good as new. Doubt any inflatable will match this. Someone stole my reliable 15 hp 2 stroke Johnson outboard. Replaced with a 15 hp 4 stroke Yamaha but much heavier. I believe the 25 hp Yamaha is the same size and weight, should make the boat plane with four adults, 15 won't. The 15 does plane with two adults.

The 11 will handle four adults in sheltered waters, moderate seas. Not a lot of extra freeboard. When in doubt make two trips. The celebrated Whaler stability has been great for grandchildren, snorkeling and fishing. Perhaps the best addition for my boat. It's worth the hassle of launching for the safety and stability. (I did add a mount for my vertical boarding ladder to my aft port rail last year, admitting I am not as agile as I once was for dinghy access.)

As mounted, the raised outboard shaft does hang over the side of the hull. I have a pole radar mast to stbd. which prevents moving the Whaler inboard by a few inches. I have to remember to be careful around tall pilings and to consider tide heights.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932