Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dingy/tender who has what?

I recently purchased a 53my and it has a cradle and 800#crane for a tender. I have a 15' whaler SS but it's too long to sit up top and might be too heavy for my crane. I am thinking about going down to a 13' whaler but I'm unsure of the weight and length with motor. What do the 53my owners suggest?

Re: Dingy/tender who has what?

Get the Whaler weighed, fully burdened with fuel and everything you'd put in it. Not all models weigh the same. When we had our 2005 Sport 130 with 40HP 2 stroke Merc per this, it came in at 1000+ pounds. Other versions weigh much less.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

11’ Apex with 15 HP 4 stroke.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

An inflatable has the advantage of never needing fenders, if your guests or children use it there are less worrying if they will damage something.

I have a Zodiac YL340 with a 40 2 stroke it weighs about 700 #s. I would recommend if you go with an inflatable you strongly consider hypalon. PVC, like my Zodiac, only lasts about 10 years.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I have a 13' Whaler SS Limitrd (1988) with a new 40 hp E-tec.
    Boat is 450 lbs Engine is 250. Add 100 more for fuelsnvhor & stuff.

My 800 lb David groans but gets the job done.
    Hope this helps.

^Why can I edit my autocorrects above on my iPhone?

You guys know what I'm trying to say.

I would love to get a RiB but for the money I want to spend my choices aren't very good. Thanks Passages, I figured a 13BW would be just under my lifts capacity so I'm trying to sell or trade my 15 but haven't had much luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    ^Why can I edit my autocorrects above on my iPhone?

You guys know what I'm trying to say.
    I was just assuming you need to replace the David with a new Goliath to hoist it...

10'9 Apex with 15 hp Honda. I'm sure mine weighs less than Seven's as it has an aversion to air...

I have a 53 that had a 13 whaler. But plan on putting a 12 inflatable with a 15 hp motor. What hasn’t been mentioned is your ability to drag it off the beach when needed. I’m not dragging a 1000 lb boat of the sand in low tide
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575