Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

3 blade vs 4 blade props

Need to replace the props on my 38c, as it turns out the boy has had the wrong size props since I bought it. Was given options in 3 and 4 blade. Anyone have recommendations one O’Leary or another, the wrong size ones were 4 blade

Re: 3 blade vs 4 blade props

3 BLADE- Louder, more vibration, better top speed
    4 BLADE- quiet, smooth, slightly better cruise speed, less top speed.

4 or 5 never a 3
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Seven, what are the advantages of 5 blades?

No vibration. Smooth. Very very expensive
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    No vibration. Smooth. Very very expensive
    So Very very Expensive is now a advantage

I went with 4 blade very very Happy
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Tried a set of proper sized zf CBC machined 3 bladders last night and picked up 3.5 knots. Didn’t realize how bad the wrong size prop affects performance. Still running hot on exhaust on starboard , so have to investigate further. Also not pulling wot

I went from my Hatteras factory original three blade props to four blade when I re-engined about 25 years ago. I was immediately struck by the huge improvement in maneuvering at idle speed. Using the clutches to enter or leave a slip gave an instantaneous result. The old props seemed to spend a second or two just spinning before the boat would react. Four blades were much better. They dig right in and move the boat.

I am discounting both the added horsepower from my new engines (not present at idle) and the slight change in gear ratios from my new Twin Disc transmissions. I believe it all comes from the propellers.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    So Very very Expensive is now a advantage

I went with 4 blade very very Happy
    Good catch.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

10. Re: 3 blade vs 4 blade props

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    Tried a set of proper sized zf CBC machined 3 bladders last night and picked up 3.5 knots. Didn’t realize how bad the wrong size prop affects performance. Still running hot on exhaust on starboard , so have to investigate further. Also not pulling wot
    If you haven't done so recently, you should get your engines tuned prior to final prop testing/ decision.It can make quite a difference at cruise and top end. The engines have to reach full RPM at WOT.