Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Tricks/tips for through hull cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Whatever you put in the strainer isn't going to prevent growth in the hose upstream
    Well it certainly does. Try it and see for yourself.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I can imagine it does prevent growth of alage as it would in a pool among other things. What I would worry about would be running bromine water through our iron Detroit Diesels. I'm not a chemist by any means but I would surmise that Bromine would take an electron from Iron and speed up the process of rust. I may be way off but in the past when using Bromine in my hot tubs I always saw rust stains. Just a thought.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Upshot: My diver made a trip up here (was working in WPB). Clamshell was shockingly covered with all types of muck, soft and hard growth. Had to pull it off, wire brush/chisel and reinstall. Hated taking it off while in the water but gotta do what ya gotta do... as soon as he pulled it, a gusher came out of the through hull. .

Need to haul soon for a C&V (and a shout out to boatsb for the referral to his agent! Will be saving me several boat bucks on insurance.). Will tune props, Naiad seals and fresh bottom paint. I'm thinking hinged exterior strainers are going to be on the list too...

Thanks to all for the great suggestions and assistance! You folks are the best!
    Last edited by PeterK; 06-20-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    I can imagine it does prevent growth of alage as it would in a pool among other things. What I would worry about would be running bromine water through our iron Detroit Diesels. I'm not a chemist by any means but I would surmise that Bromine would take an electron from Iron and speed up the process of rust. I may be way off but in the past when using Bromine in my hot tubs I always saw rust stains. Just a thought.
    And that maybe valid. Since I have screens that isn’t a worry for me. Either way, the bromine doesn’t cause rust. As you say, doesn’t remove it either.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    And that maybe valid. Since I have screens that isn’t a worry for me. Either way, the bromine doesn’t cause rust. As you say, doesn’t remove it either.
    Meant to add that there is zero barnacle formation in bromine treated systems.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC