Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tricks/tips for through hull cleaning

Looking for any help in clearing an AC through hull from inside the boat. My diver is trying to get here today but I'm not sure he will get here until tomorrow.

The flow is about 20% of what it should be and my pump is laboring as a result.

On our boat, the strainer is horizontally mounted so it is a right angle to get to the through hull. Coat hanger did nothing and I can't get a screw driver in far enough to clear the barnacles.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. Re: Tricks/tips for through hull cleaning

Are you sure its the through hull? Does the valve close?

Re: Tricks/tips for through hull cleaning

Opens and closes fine. When the valve and strainer open, a fraction of the normal flow. The though hull is less than a foot from the centerline and almost 5' below the waterline. When clear, a gusher comes out!

Did you try a flexible plumbers fish/snake?

5. Re: Tricks/tips for through hull cleaning

Try blowing it out with shore water hose. That works if blockage is due to grass on outside strainer.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

On my 45, my ac sea strainer was right below the engine room light. I always left that light on for safety. Thus became an energy source for marine growth. What I did was go to Walmart and purchase a cheap gun cleaning kit. There are several size copper round brushed that will fit the through hull perfectly. Usually 12 guage. You have to bend the rod a little to go in at the right angle, but it is a cheap kit.

I closed the through hull valve, removed the lid and strainer basket, prepared my rod for plunging, (sounds dirty), opened the valve and started scrubbing. You will get some water in the boat, not that much, and all of the debri scraped out.

When finished, shop vac out the water and debri, and save the rod and brush for next time. ( don't forget to close the valve) . The rod is aluminum and the brush is copper. On larger through hulls, I have doubled and trippled the brushes to get the size I need.

Have a great week,
    Tim

Block off the through hull and pour barnacle buster in and let it sit for a few hours. If that doesn’t clear it up you will need to flush barnacle buster through the complete system. I bet that’s what you will need to do.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Most of the time it s either a plastic bag outside on the scoop or it s blockage in the hose.

If it s a plastic bag the only solution is to go for a swim.

If it s a blockage in the hose, you have to close the sea cock, and pull the hose off the sea cock and strainer. Clean and re instal. Plunging, coat hangers etc isn't going to do anything to barnacles
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

To reiterate past postings, I fill strainer baskets (all of them) with bromine tablets. This keeps the baskets clean. When the pumps are running, some of the bromine has to leach back. I know this won't clear a blockage, but maybe it'll prevent one going forward.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Whatever you put in the strainer isn't going to prevent growth in the hose upstream
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat