Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: outlet

outlet

I have a 125v 30 amp outlet in the cockpit of my 1976 46c. It is on the port side oppisite side from my shore power hook up. I'm Wondering what it might be used for. It looks like original equipment. thanks

2. Re: outlet

If you have a tone generator, or can borrow one, you can put a tone on the connection and see where it goes in the boat...Disconnect all shorepower first...
    Is it powered when your'e connected to shore power via the normal connector(s) and all circuit breakers are on?? Is there any appliance which doesn't work when connected to normal shorepower?? Any circuit breakers which are wired separate from the normal shore power connectors (you'll have to look at the back of your electric panel).

Re: outlet

Is it an outlet or an inlet? If it is an outlet, I can't imagine what could have been powered off of it, unless it was another boat. Maybe the previous owner rafted up with a friend and they powered both boats off of one genset.

Or....maybe he powered his house. With this type of setup, you could use your boat as a backup generator for your house when the local utility company was down.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 04-09-2006 at 09:53 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I'll have to investigate further, i know i goes to a buss fuss at my electrical pannel and beside that fuse is an identical fuse that goes to my shore power. both have the same type of wire, heavy blue coated romex type. I'll put a volt meter on it next time i'm on the boat.

If it is an outlet, it will have a female connector, meaning the connectors are barried (no exposed metal terminals). As previously mentioned, I installed mine to power a friend's boat so only one generator need run when rafted together. Some of my friend's boats are similiarly wired, which really helps all if someone's generator is on the blink. This has saved several weekends in our group! FWIW.
    Norm Mayer aboard Runaround Sue (44' Hatt Tricabin)