Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wave Rogue through router to NVR

I am about to buy a wave rogue to grab my Y.C's wifi signal to connect to my nvr. My cameras are connected to my nvr. Here is my question. If I connect the wave rogue Ethernet cable to a wireless router and then an Ethernet cable from the wireless router to the nvr, will I loose much throuput or bandwidth by not connecting the rogue to the nvr directly? Also, although I know the rogue wave is supposedly easy to configure, if I connect it to a wireless router, is that easy to configure as well? The only reason I want the router is to take advantage of the wave rogue's ability to grab wifi signal's. Although, it's primary use, by far, is to provide an internet connection for my cameras.

Re: Wave Rogue through router to NVR

John

Call me.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Unless they recently came up with a new version the Waves boosters are always connected to a router with Ethernet cable
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The wave has a wired connection to input of router then nvr wired connection to router also. I don’t think you loose a lot of bandwidth. I think the wave is only single frequency. 2.4 or 5 GHz. I’m guessing your speed limitation will be with the wave or the marina WiFi. Based on discussion on another forum and advise from Pascal, I decided to go with the Cradlepoint AER2200. It is a WiFi, 3G/4G/LTE transceiver and a wireless router all in one. No need for a separate router and no need for the wave. I can put 2sim cards in it for Bahamas and USA. Full 3x3 mimo. The antennas are already attached to the unit, but you can get external antennas as well.Just got the unit and it is not installed yet. Will be installing in next couple weeks.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

5. Re: Wave Rogue through router to NVR

Depends on whether there is a firewall and NAT involved on the router. My guess is that you will have a maximum of 10Mbps WAN bandwidth anyway so it probably wont be blocking and you should be fine.

Sorry to ask an obvious question but here goes. In addition to the Rogue Wave, I also bought a router and a switch. Is there anything to be gained, or lost, running the output from the bullet to the router and then an Ethernet from the router to the NVR versus running the output from the Wave Rouge to the switch and then an Ethernet from the switch to the router and a separate Ethernet from the switch to the NVR?

I decided to bag the switch. All working fine now. Had to get on support with Netgear to get router configured. But, all's well that ends well.

Okay, now I am officially pissed off. Everything was working fine today at the Y.C. with my cameras on the boat. The Rogue Wave signal is great and no herkey jerky live images from my cameras. Sure enough, as I was leaving today, a member had 60 people over for a pool party. Now, once again, albeit remotely from my iPad at home, I am back to herky jerky live streaming. The good news is that I am no longer getting the " network is unstable" message. I am now virtually certain the the problem is a bandwidth problem since the Y.C.'s network is an OPEN and not secured network. After investing in three bridges, a router and a crap load of time, I guess I need to ask the wise folks here is there anything I can buy to increase the bandwidth for my network short of going the cellular route which I do not want to do? Thanks.

In my last ditch attempt to get this system working properly, I called Rogue Wave to try to fix a problem. Hopefully, you folks here might know the answer. The Rogue Wave keeps latching onto my yacht club's wifi network. That is good news. The bad news is that the yacht club's network, is being broadcast on several different channels under the same name on channel 11, channel 8, channel 6 etc. Only one channel, channel 11, gives me a usable network. But, the Rogue Wave is latching onto channel 8 instead. Rogue Wave said there is nothing to be done to eliminate these lesser network channels from being selected. So, when I am not on the boat, I cannot force the Rogue Wave to remotely select the right channel in order to feed my cameras, router and DVR. Does anyone have any idea how to stop the selection of the wrong network or to force the right choice remotely? Also, the yacht club's entire network is open, if that makes a difference. If I cannot get this fixed, I may have to bite the bullet and go the AIRCARD route with a Cradlepoint but still prefer to avoid that monthly expense.

10. Re: Wave Rogue through router to NVR

Sounds like Wave has a really poor roaming algorithm. The client should automatically connect the base station with the highest signal as part of its roaming algorithm. I set this up on my router manually in Linux as part of the wireless client. I would push back on Wave for a fix. This is a super common scenario.