Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Key West Trip

Key West Trip

Hey All, we are looking at a trip to Key West from Ft Lauderdale, any advice on the best route? On the Off shore side or on the Gulf side?ThanksMarcus
    Marcus & Michelle
    1968 50' MY Felicity
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Re: Key West Trip

With your draft and a slower cruise speed the inside route is more scenic and goes as far south as marathon. After that you would typically go on the ocean side which is shorter than the gulf route although there supposed to be some nice spots to explore on the gulf side of the lower keys. There are a number of marinas and anchorages on.m the inside ICW route.

Keep in mind that most of the small keys on the bayside north of Key Largo and islamorada are restricted. You can anchor but not land...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

3. Re: Key West Trip

The shallowest portion of the ICW is between R78A and R90 off Islamorada where depths can be under 5' MLW. The tide is about 1' or less with the wind making a bigger impact on depth than the tide. For my 5' draft with unprotected props, I depart the ICW at Snake Creek and run Hawk Channel to go further south. Otherwise, I agree with Pascal.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Maybe I am not adventurous enough but I draw 5’ And I don’t even think about the sound side. I run hawks channel. Just got back from the keys and anchored out off of Islamorada on the ocean side and took the dinghy in to mess around and there is not a lot of water once on the sound side.

Thanks all for the input. I believe I am at near 4’ and like to keep a little under the keel.Snake creek is where I was looking at crossing over to Hawks Channel but was a little concerned about water depth entering Snake Creek between markers 10 & 12 on the bay side, it looked like it was about 3’ at MLW.What is a good spot to anchor outside at Islamabad’s? There is a great place to eat right at the base of the bridge to eat and we can take the dink back in? Can’t remember the name but I will know it when I see it; they have a small dock and the food was always great!Any good anchorages in the key west or stock island area? Need this as a back up if we can’t get a slip at the Naval Base marina at Boca Chica.Thanks again
    Marcus & Michelle
    1968 50' MY Felicity
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Sorry, meant Islamorada!
    Marcus & Michelle
    1968 50' MY Felicity
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

7. Re: Key West Trip

Snake Creek is not a problem. Read my comments on Active Captain’s hazard marker at the oceanside of Snake Creek. Severla 6’ draft vessels transit from Plantation Yacht Harbor regularly.

The restaurant at Snake Creek’s drawbridge, Island Grill, was destroyed by Irma.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Snake creek is fine with 5' draft.

A nice spot to stopnis Indian key just islamorada. Dinghy in a visit the ruins. It was quite a place with wreckers and the first courthouse.

With 5' draft you have to slow at idle in some places inside to avoid squatting. Better outside. 4' draft on a 53 is no problem
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Indian Key as of 2 weeks ago was closed but there are 5 moorings that appear to be new. We took one and stayed the night and took the dingy into Islamorada. Not a good place if you have dogs to walk. Went to a beach on the mainland side and sign said beware of alligators. My wife was not happy, I thought it was a bunch of shiz but then we saw 4 sets of foot prints with a line between them going side to side. We got going after that. I attached a picture of us on the mooring at Indian. Doesn’t show much but I figured the forum liked pictures.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by motoryacht lover; 06-20-2018 at 11:47 AM.

10. Re: Key West Trip

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    Not a good place if you have dogs to walk. Went to a beach on the mainland side and sign said beware of alligators. My wife was not happy, I thought it was a bunch of shiz but then we saw 4 sets of foot prints with a line between them going side to side. We got going after that.
    We have 2 crocodiles regularly seen in and around the harbor here at PYC in the last month. Friends with a dog now carry a baseball bat when then take the dog for a swim. Just another reason to stay on the boat.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine