Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Outback 32v owners....help please

Hi,One of my two 32v battery banks which is under the control of a 32v outback inverter/charger can cranck the engine on, however if I turn off the charger and run the inverter for 10 minutes consuming only 400 watts, then this bank can barely move the starter motor. So I figuered a new bank should be installed. Before doing this heavy proposal (more concerned about the weight of the batteries rather than the cost), I would like to try to equalize the batteries using the outback. I know for sure that I don’t have any dead cells.

Can someone with similar charger please share their settings for the equalization, including the process?

Do you think I can bring this bank back to live?

This bank charges quickly and discharges quickly too, but remember it still can turn the engine on if it is just off the charger. So according to what I have read, it has a surface charge due to over sulfating which is usually reversible.

Thanks
    Last edited by Gusshr; 06-18-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Re: Outback 32v owners....help please

How old are the batteries?

Did you measure the cells with a proper hydrometer? Whats their specific gravity?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    How old are the batteries?Did you measure the cells with a proper hydrometer? Whats their specific gravity?
    From reading posts by PO, 2013. Gravity is borderline fair to poor minute after turning off the charger. Do I perform equalization or dont waste my time?
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Unless their rolls it's time to replace them.

Gotta love the 8 volt world.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Unless their rolls it's time to replace them.Gotta love the 8 volt world.
    Love the 8 volt already. I have never equalized any batteries before and thats why I am asking. What’s you experience in that?
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Also I am planning on using the 8V195 instead of the 819. Any objections anyone?
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Maintenance is before the problem got this bad. Id replace them and move on. 819 batteries are heavy and not cheap. Equalize them every few months and they may last longer.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Maintenance is before the problem got this bad. Id replace them and move on. 819 batteries are heavy and not cheap. Equalize them every few months and they may last longer.
    What voltage do you use and for how long?
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

My boat is 12 volt. I replaced the 8 volt batteries on a 52c a while back and hated every heavy minute of it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Why not try to equalize them before you replace? It doesn't take much effort. Just select the equalize function on the Outback. It will bring the bank up to 40v for two hours. Make sure you fill them with water first as they will boil some off during the process.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI