Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Outback 32v owners....help please

Best thing we did to our 53 MY was install a large opening hatch above the galley, we were then able to use the Yacht Clubs small boat hoist to remove the old generators and drop in the new one. It also makes it a snap to pull and replace batteries the same way. Changed out 4 8volt batts in less than 20 min. And my back isn’t even sore. Also adds a lot of extra light in the galley. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Equalization in progress.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

By the way 8v195's are great starting batteries, but not deep cycle house or inverter batteries. Get the big Rolls HHG25 instead.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    By the way 8v195's are great starting batteries, but not deep cycle house or inverter batteries. Get the big Rolls HHG25 instead.
    How sure are you? I called the factory and they did not mention that. Also the amp hr is higher on the 8v195.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Do inverters right. Make a bank of real batteries to give you better performance.

Look at LiFePo. Great technology.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Do inverters right. Make a bank of real batteries to give you better performance. Look at LiFePo. Great technology.
    The Amp Hour on the 8v195 is higher than the 819 which means that the 8v195 is a deeper cycle battery than the 819s. Unless the company is falsifying their numbers.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Plate size and shape determine deep or start. Ah or cca is not the determining factor.

I'm sure there's many who will tell you differently but.

The 819 was the original battery and still the best lead acid choice.

Inverter banks should be separate from start banks.

32 volt systems are old out of date designs and for inverters 24 volt are much more usable today.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Plate size and shape determine deep or start. Ah or cca is not the determining factor.I'm sure there's many who will tell you differently but. The 819 was the original battery and still the best lead acid choice.Inverter banks should be separate from start banks.32 volt systems are old out of date designs and for inverters 24 volt are much more usable today.
    Just because it is heavier and more expensive, it doesn’t mean that it has better capacity!I just spoke with the local guy, he said he has putting these on 10s of 53-55 hatterasses. I am going to belive the books I read, the online research I did, and go with the 8v195.
    Attached Images
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Oh and by the my post clearly says 32v, thanks for pointing out that 24v chargers are good. I do have the outback and it is 32v charger inverter. It is great if you want to switch to a 32v system.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Why add a separate bank when you already have a nice sized house bank that will do just fine? I have run my Outback off of the house bank(Rolls) for 9 years now. It works great and we didn't have to spend more money on a separate bank. Also no extra weight aboard and no extra maintenance. There is more than one way to do this.

What Scott recommends is an excellent way to do it, but for my use, the house bank is just fine.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 06-24-2018 at 09:12 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI