Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Leveling in hull transducer

Hi I got myself a fish finder and tried it out by placing it on the bottom of the inside of the boat and it reads very well. I used a blob of grease to prevent bubbles and gaps between the transducer and the inside hull bottom which is not smooth but is clean.

I've seen people using epoxies to attache the in hull transducer but in order to achieve level - horizontal installation how do I do that? I am not concerned about longitudinal (fore & aft) levelling but about atwartship (port/starboard) levelling due to shape of the bottom, i.e. rise of the bottom towards the side of the boat. I mainly use it to figure out the depth at anchorages where I approach at very slow speed. Fishing is always at lower speeds so no levelling concern there.

Do I just try and achieve the best possible 'eyeball' levelling with more epoxy on the side closer to the keel and less epoxy on the other side, or there is some sort of method for more precise levelling. May be a stupid question, but does a level tool work on a boat in the water? I know I have Port list on the boat......
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: Leveling in hull transducer

The kit you should have bought has a small tank that gets epoxied to the hull. Grind an area smooth and flat. The transducer sits in the tank.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You can also make a wedge that goes between the hull and the locking but of the through hull.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

???

In Hull not a through hull i hope
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The kit you should have bought has a small tank that gets epoxied to the hull. Grind an area smooth and flat. The transducer sits in the tank.
    This one does not hence me asking. 'Could have, would have, should have' but did not so I am looking for a practical advice.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

make a dam with childs modeling clay , trim the boat with temp. weight if its much list .mix and pour the epoxy,it will find its own level

Quote Originally Posted by brico View Post
    This one does not hence me asking. 'Could have, would have, should have' but did not so I am looking for a practical advice.
    Buying the right part for $130 seems practical but what do I know.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    You can also make a wedge that goes between the hull and the locking but of the through hull.
    Should be locking nut not but. Sorry
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California