Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Alarm saying CO detected.

One of the two brands CO/fire detectors alarms on the boat (self powered from home cheapo) went off a week ago 4 seconds on and few off pointing towards a CO problem. The others two detectors from a different brand were off. Found some batteries with low water. Added water, everything is fine for couple days. Then the alarm is going off again. Only one type of detectors is going off. The other two detectors (different brand) stay silent even when I bring them closer to the one that is beeping. Should I ignore? Oh by the way no running engines or generators. Not even nearby running boats. Thanks
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

2. Re: Alarm saying CO detected.

What is the age of the detector alarming? Some brands will alert once they reach their expiration date.

We had a similar situation happen to us several years ago. Just one of several onboard. We checked the alarming until and found it way past the date listed on the unit. Went and bought a new unit from Lowes with no further alarming.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: Alarm saying CO detected.

The ultimate in design obsolescence.

That's a common alarm with kidde.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

4. Re: Alarm saying CO detected.

It's not planned obsolescence, it's based on the material used to sense the smoke. "The life expectancy of smoke alarms is generally 10 years, after which point their sensors can begin to lose sensitivity. The test button only confirms that the battery, electronics, and alert system are working; it doesn’t mean that the smoke sensor is working."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...larm/index.htm
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Had one in my RV doing similar. I replaced it with same type but a new one and no problems. I dont remember brand

That alarm is 6 months old.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Take it back and have it replaced.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

8. Re: Alarm saying CO detected.

Also check to see if it has been recalled; I seem to recall a Kidde recall several months ago. When they did their fire extinguisher recall in the winter, I had replaced at no charge 8 seperate extinguishers.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

My concern is that could I have a bad battery that is maybe producing excessive Hydrogen even after adding water? As some CO detectors will cross react to Hydrogen.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

10. Re: Alarm saying CO detected.

That's a valid concern, and the home model CO detectors [as opposed to the designated marine units] are more susceptible to false alerts due to this cause. I'd still try the cheapest/easiest solution first and get a new unit before delving into a more expensive battery/charger solution.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine