Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Plasteak Install Question

Good day fellow boaters. I'm in the process of replacing the original linoleum floors in both heads on my 1988 52C. I stripped the old floors and feathered the rough spots with a leveling compound which I've sanded as best I could. The floor is a lot smoother than it was but still shows some small divots and crease marks from my imperfect leveling job. In an ideal world I would give the whole floor a second going over with the leveling compound but I'm out of time. My question is this: can I expect the adhesive itself to fill any of the small voids or are they going to telegraph through the approximately 1/8th inch material over time in the high traffic areas? If anyone has any experience in this regard I would be grateful for your input. Thanks.
    Bruce

1988 52C

Block Island

All things being equal , I'd rather be on my boat.

Re: Plasteak Install Question

I was a flooring contractor and am now an inspector. Sorry to tell you, unequivocally adhesive will not act as a filler.

I'm preparing a 52c for flooring and as peterk knows there's no alternative to propper preparation if you want to avoid a piss poor performance.

We talked to peter months ago and understood what we needed to do to get it right the first time. Needless to say it added to the project in time and cost but were not taking shortcuts.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    I was a flooring contractor and am now an inspector. Sorry to tell you, unequivocally adhesive will not act as a filler.
    Thank you for your input. I guess I've lost another day. So be it , I'm not doing it twice.
    Bruce

1988 52C

Block Island

All things being equal , I'd rather be on my boat.

Don’t waste your time, do it right, If you’re out of time put down a bathroom rug.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Depends on thickness and type of your floor. You can buy floor stone and fill the voids or use bondo. It cures quick, is available at any parts house and shouldn't set you back on time much

We put Plasteak throuout the lower level. Be sure to use the padding and you will not have to worry about surface imperfections. That is the key. 2 1/2 years later and we love it, feels great under foot, looks good. Indestructible basically. Good luck...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

You might want to check out Lonseal, it is plenty thick enough to cover small imperfections.
    Attached Images
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I think Plasteak is private label Lonseal. Same product.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I used Nautik floor in mine. Its plenty thick as well to bridge over imperfections. I would safely say you could cover over a spot the size or a quarter and about as deep without issue. Thats just a guess nothing official. I know mine had a few rough spots and the stuff is probably close to 3/16" thick.