Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

International Comp[ound number 2

Do any of you know if this is still used on reassembly of these engines, or has Detroit identified an acceptable, and perhaps more accessible, assembly lube? It's not easily obtained, and is rather costly, particularly given that I just need some for bolts on the flywheel, so I was wondering if anyone has used something else that is acceptable. Thanks.

Re: International Comp[ound number 2

If you are not a DD purist there are many assembly lube products available from Advance Auto, Car Quest, Autozone and other internet based outfits. Price will range from about $3 to $14. Just google assembly lube. For your application (flywheel bolts) a good grade of anti-sieze will work.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Right thanks. I knew that, but I’m wondering if there is something different about the international compound. I really would prefer not to get this wrong. Ha!

For the flywheel bolts, if no locktight is recommended, and I do, any oil would be fine.
    I'd be using a torque wrench.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Oil is oil. Assembly lube is oil. It's just made to stay in place until run with oil.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks. So no loctite is recommended per the manual, and yes.......definitely using a torque wrench. And thanks Scott for you comments about the oil. Did you mean the same applies to assembly lube used for bolts to ensure that you can get an accurate torque on it? I was just wondering what was so special about the Detroit compound. The mechanics call it "peanut butter" apparently. Its specified in the manual so i figured I'd run the question by you guys here. It seems that a standard assembly lube would allow appropriate lubrication enabling you to torque it up without the bolt binding, but I was wondering if there was anything different about this stuff.

It's probably thickened.

I'm not sure what the flywheel bolts are torqued to but maybe the peanut butter is like a grease for high pressure.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I doubt Detroit makes any lubes them self.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY