Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Replacing my davit

Had issues with my 1000lb davit during my big annual cruise and have decided to replace it. It is a 1000 lb 120V davit. I have had the davit for 10 years now and have put 3 winch motors on it. The braking system is the first to go. Have replaced the controller at least once. Manual everything except the winch part. I am being told that hydraulic davits are more reliable. I am contemplating a hydraulic davit with manual rotation and hydraulic “winch” and hydraulic boom. What are the forums thoughts on the hydraulic davits being more reliable? Any info on YRM davits out of Miami or Bullhead davit installers in Stuart. Thanks for your time.

Re: Replacing my davit

http://www.umtmarine.com/ in Ft. Lauderdale are rock stars.

I helped a fellow member get his new to him 2nd Hatt commissioned for the trip home. This company measured designed fabricated and powdercoated a dinghy bracket in 36 hours, and removed the old one designed for a whaler and had been damaged.

They had installed cranes on 2 neighboring boats. flawless work. Since you actually use your davit, go hydraulic.

call these guys to get a quote.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Whatever you do stay away from nautical structures. While their davits and platforms are pretty good their customer support is horrendous. We have one of their davit and swimplatform on the lazzara 84 I run and getting parts or service is a nightmare. It takes days to get a call returned, they want a credit card to even consider putting a job on their schedule which takes weeks. Ridiculous

On the other hand I have had terrific service from Quick Lift (Miami) Great product and great service.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I got great service from Marquip. One issue may be your dinghy is too heavy, or you pulley/roller may be binding. The Marquio guys were pretty good about coming and evaluating our set up when we were in Ft Lauderdale, including weighing the dinghy (13 Boston Whaler). That's another issue, make sure you know what the dinghy actually weighs fully loaded.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

My current davit is from UMT. I would use UMT again but not the electric one is there have not been some changes. The guy that I am working with at YRM used to work with UMT and sold me my current davit.

Thank you all for your input.