Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Cruisair Replacement question

We decided to update the entire lower level with new Dometic units and pro installer this week. We had one big condenser driving 4 air handlers but only one thermostat for all staterooms (guarantee that someone was uncomfortable at all times). We are replacing with 3 smaller condensers and all new air handlers. We’ll be able to control each of the main 3 SR’s independently, and the V-berth is slaved to the Fwd SR, so it is basically a “suite” of sorts. Here is some of the new gear on the truck, and a “before” and a “during” pic.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

My ac units are now about 30 years old. one in the crew quarters is leaking and the board is shot. my ac guy suggests changing. I just don't have time to do it myself. my ac guy wants 1600 in labor. 200 materials and 3600 for the new condenser, evap, control. All new wiring. can anyone say if the labor to replace everything seems excessive? i think the cost of the unit seems in the ball park.

Labor is what it is. I don't know how much time it will take but if you trust him do it. If you don't find a other guy.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Labor seems a little high but it depends on access. The condenser should be easy to pull out in the ER. The air handlers maybe harder depending on how much cabinetry needs to come out. I d try to open it all up myself somthe unit is right there. I don't see 16 + hours of labor
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Labor seems a little high but it depends on access. The condenser should be easy to pull out in the ER. The air handlers maybe harder depending on how much cabinetry needs to come out. I d try to open it all up myself somthe unit is right there. I don't see 16 + hours of labor
    I'm sure you don't see it because you have no knowledge of the scope of the project. Have you seen it? Have you assessed the work?

Is the tech going to clean the lines and change to a new refrigerant? Replace the lines? What else is needed?

You comment on things that you have no real knowledge of and that's not helping anyone but your ego.

By the way somewhere, some how someone is going to pay a service provider fairly whether you like it or not.

I cant keep up with the amount of work I seem to be getting lately and I don't shoot low ball to get jobs numbers and try to make it up on changes. I have a simple rate schedule and I always estimate a bit higher ( an hour or two ) because something challenging always presents itself. I know an AC guy in the Daytona area that's very doing the same and we cross paths sometimes laugh about the people pushing for lower cost labor and then complaining about what they get.

Lets take a bit of time to look at costs vs your wishes.

Commercial Vehicle insurance $$$$$
    Liability insurance $$$$$
    Workers Comp insurance $$$$$
    Fuel $$
    Inventory of parts $$$
    Ordering, receiving and inventory control $$
    Labor ( if you have an employee doing the work ) $$$$$
    Follow up and warranty $$
    Collections $$$
    Marina fees ( In Cape Canaveral they average $30 - 50 a day each yard)

What the uninformed customer sees.

A guy in a truck or van $$
    brings the gear that magically got in there. FREE
    Has everything he needs for the jog in there FREE
    Sneaks in the yard to save you $50. FREE
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Damn Scott !! Your always such a DH when someone asks a question. Jumped right on the guys back as you always do.

If your cephalorectal disease is flaring get some ointment.

How can you determine if a quote is fair if you dont know the scope of it? Unless you and Karnak have a deal going.

Theres a constant bashing of service providers here based on the "experiance" of some do it wrong your selfers who always know better.

I install professional broadcast electronics for a living. I install marine electronics for a living and I do it professionally where quality and knowledge is concerned.

I don't expect the doctor I visit to give me a break because the exam is routine and I don't expect the butcher to give me a break either. All the cheapskate boaters ( not the ones like WaltP and BobK who admit it) try to bring down the cost of their boating at others expense. If you cant afford it find a cheaper hobby. If you dont like paying for labor dont hire it out.

The poster of the question asked if the prices looked reasonable and they did . I work in an area with many good service providers and we all hold our prices and make sure we do things right. You get what you pay for.

My original post stated if you trust they guy its probably right. I didn't second guess the estimate or whats in the job. Some other person did that.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Maybe it’s the personal insults that get in the way.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Its hard to reply to specific posts or people without being personal.

Sorry if I seem harsh but to discuss the scope of a project you've not seen and even state your not sure whats involved then state the price is high is just plain .....

Forget it Ill get banned for stating the truth in a way that may piss someone off.

Shayne,

Im in the Port Canaveral area. If you want, PM me and we can talk. I don't second guess or undercut professionals that did the up front work but I may be able to get you a second opinion if your in the area.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Talk about ego... geez.

Without getting into the gutter...

Business costs like insurance, worksmen comp, fuel etc are already accounted for in the labor rate. Same with travel as most techs charge a travel fee. So your rant about these costs is irrelevant. Nobody is disputing the average $90 to $100 labor rate.

In 20 or 30 years I have had a number of air handlers and condensors replaced on my boats and boats I run. Shayne was quoted about 16 hours of labor to replace the system, at the typical $90 to $100 rate that's 16 hours. I have never seen a professional air con tech require more than 2 hours to pull a condensor or an evaporator. So 4 hours for both, clear and recharge, another hour for the new control, travel etc it's a 6 to 8 hour job.

Sorry to say but labor padding is a common thing in he marine business. I was recently quoted 8 hours to replace the high pressure pump on a watermaker. Guy did the job in 3... what should have I paid over twice the labor? It s not being cheap, it s paying for what you receive.

That said I agree about not being able to asses a job sight unseen... this is why I started my post saying "unless access is difficult"
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat