Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cruisair Replacement question

I have two Cruisair split units on my 36. Both are 30 years old. The marina mechanic tells me the compressor on the little one is shot, keeps popping the breaker, and needs to be replaced. He's mentioned trying to find a replacement which I assume means a used or rebuilt one. He also mentioned replacing it with a new one. He also mentioned R22 which you can't use anymore. My question to you folks are, do replacement compressors exist? Can a new compressor can be used with an old air handler or do I need to replace both pieces? Is there a fix that I'm just not thinking of?

Thank you very much.

Re: Cruisair Replacement question

You can replace just the compressor but if the units are 30 year old you may be better off relaxing the whole condenser as the coils and electric components are getting there. If the air handlers is fine and doesn't leak you can keep it.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

R22 is still available and is still manufactured until 2020. It may be that manufacturers are not allowed to produce new complete units with R22, but replacement parts and the actual refrigerant is still available and expensive to discourage use.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

Quote Originally Posted by dave1985 View Post
    I have two Cruisair split units on my 36. Both are 30 years old. The marina mechanic tells me the compressor on the little one is shot, keeps popping the breaker, and needs to be replaced. He's mentioned trying to find a replacement which I assume means a used or rebuilt one. He also mentioned replacing it with a new one. He also mentioned R22 which you can't use anymore. My question to you folks are, do replacement compressors exist? Can a new compressor can be used with an old air handler or do I need to replace both pieces? Is there a fix that I'm just not thinking of?

Thank you very much.
    Dave, I just replaced two condensing units , purchased from Ocean Breeze in Stuart they build exact specs and footprint of the old cruiseairs with bigger coils i think there better units

I have replaced both the compressors on my self contained units, R22. Bought them new in last 5 years from Flagship Marine in Florida New compressors were under $300 for 16,500 btu.

Great information.

Thank you all for the help.

I found the compressors online and replaced them myself. R22 is expensive but I stocked up before it got out of hand. You can repair a unit and stick with R22 but a manufacturer cannot build a new unit charged with R22. They will sell you just the condensing unit but it will be charged with a replacement refrigerant like R417 at which point you can either go with the new refrigerant or pull it out and stick with R22 if the oils are compatible. I didn't go this routs because I like fixing old stuff, my heat exchanger coils looked good and the new units were a slightly different dimension in a tight fitting custom rack. The condenser heat exchanger coils can fail and leak. When you pull off the cooling water hoses look at the condition of the ends of the nipples to look for any signs of deterioration. I left my old evaporator units in place but one of them did need new blower motors. More than one member here has reported good results with another manufacturer for the replacement units like Ocean Breeze mentioned here.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Suit yourself, but I just converted one of my split systems to a self contained..easy DIY job. Thanks to Sky for the electrical guidance.
    Attached Images

Webasto makes some cheap stuff. We replace bunches of it. As to the one piece units over the split systems that lasted for years. Think about it. There's a reason so many designers used split systems.

In areas of high growth we find the coolling lines getting clogged with growth and the pumps people use are usually smaller than may be needed.

My friend just added a 16.5k self contained to his salon. Time will tell when we splash.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Webasto makes some cheap stuff. We replace bunches of it. As to the one piece units over the split systems that lasted for years. Think about it. There's a reason so many designers used split systems.

In areas of high growth we find the coolling lines getting clogged with growth and the pumps people use are usually smaller than may be needed.

My friend just added a 16.5k self contained to his salon. Time will tell when we splash.
    I'm all in at $1,400...it was cheap, so if I get 5 years out of it, I'm happy.. Replacement self contained units are plug and play, with digital controls and remote. I only went Webasto because it was the smallest footprint for a 12k unit. I'm putting a Marinaire in the salon.