Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

170 HP Hatteras 38 Convertible

This boat would seem to be a very economical way to cover long distances slowly and I would think the engines would last just about forever. 7 kts at 1650 rpm with newer John Deere 85 HP naturals getting a little over 3 mpg. What would it be like living with this hull without the option to go much faster? Is anyone familiar with this boat?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1971...g#.WxmmvK2ZOzl

https://youtu.be/rjdS_ZX_b08

Re: 170 HP Hatteras 38 Convertible

My first concern would be safety after the huge weight reduction with the new Deere engines. You probably can go long distances assuming the boat didn't roll over.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

The didn't miss a thing. Anything that could be downgraded, done half assed or with cheap crap was done. Hatteras built sailboats but not like that. I would run. Far, Fast and for a long time.

Just a few wonderful observations.

1) Most of the work was neat but poorly marked and or executed.

2) Most of the materials were low end or worse. The chargers are a perfect example of a lower priced solution with little if any thought for longevity.

3) The tank in the cockpit for any fuel would be illegal if not vented above its "full level" overboard and safely away from anything that could create a spark.

Id guess a survey would show it hard if not impossible to insure.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Its just not a good idea. Years ago I ran a 34C with tiny Diesels from Boca Grand up to St Pete for a refit. Well that translates to plenty of hours run time to get a feel for it, especially because I own a 34C.

It ran like a boat with fouled running gear. Forget that it would not plane. At lower speeds it could operate at it was unresponsive and just plain unpleasant to run. When my bottom and gear has some growth starting the boat runs like dog crap. This will likely be the same.

Better off with a nice trawler designed to run at these speeds. Plus they have sweet interiors most of the time.

I agree. I think they have ruined this boat. Only buy this boat if you know someone even stupider than you who will buy it from you once you realize what a mistake you've made. I would not have it if they paid me the asking price to take it from them.

For their asking price, you could find a decent little trawler which really IS a trawler, not a ruined Hatteras.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    For their asking price, you could find a decent little trawler which really IS a trawler, not a ruined Hatteras.
    Yup. Especially because at the lower speeds the trawler will be a much better ride.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Repowering with smaller engines doesn't t make any sense even financially as the price diffeeence on the engines and gears is just a small portion of the overall project. I went thru the numbers before repowering my 53 and the cost difference was about &20k or less than 10% of the whole project

As to the quality of the work and whether it will pass survey, let s not forget this is an early boat. Frankly almost anything is better than what Hatteras did back the early 70s. I found blobs of sealant up to 1 1/2" thick to seal spaces between walls and the underside of the salon floor... I m still pulling factory original wiring and wondering why the boat didn't go up in flame over the years.

As I am installing the new water heater this morning I pulled the wiring harness from the stbd side of the genny room along the hull. Check out the factory splices... pieces of copper tube, sliced lengthwise, crimped and wrapped in electrical tape... hidden splices everywhere buried deep in the harness
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

When diesel hits $5 per gallon again this will look different.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Since we are now exporting oil, I doubt we ll see $5 a gal. but nothing prevents higher HP boats from
    Going slow and enjoying good fuel economy
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat